Iray view mode just showing grey figure.

...I've been running into an issue with Iray view modelately where everything in the camera's view frame  remains grey after I switch to it . When I move the camera in or out the it will work momentarily but once I stop everything in the view frame goes back to the the grey figures and props againm/..  It isn't anything with the GPU as it works fine when running a render process.

This is a bit frustrating as I use Iray mode to make adjustments to hair and skin tones as well as when working with shaders. The only other option is to run a lot of time consuming test renders. 

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,847
    Do you have instances in the scene? A real render with Instance Optimization set to Auto or Memory will handle instances efficiently, but Iray Preview will not. For example, you can render UltraScenery fine, but cannot IRAY preview it without a super powerful GPU.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited January 2023

...that makes sense but in this case it is only a single character clothing and hair with no scenery just a lighting HDRI and one decal (though I've had no issue with decals previously in Iray View).   I do have clothing content on the character that uses dual sided textures.  Could that also cause the issue?

I was also using SickleYeild's HD rib morphs, but again I've used HD morphs on characters before with no issue.

Update:

Indeed it was the clothing (dForce Seljuk Turkish Princess Outfit) that was causing it.  When I deleted it, Iray view worked again. The one rub, I need Iray View mode to make adjustments to the shaders so a Catch-22 as it's difficult to make minor shader adjustments when also having to perform test renders to see the results instead of being able to see the changes instantly particularly as it involves subtle adjustments.  

line break.jpg
    700 x 3 - 1K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on