(Solved) Transfer Utility Question - Copying approximate weights from similar object?

mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 75

Hey folks.  I wanted to turn a pair of boots into knee-highs, so I took the mesh to C4D.  The changes necessitated creating new geometry, so making a simple morph was out.  However, the general shape of the boots hasn't changed much.

I'm trying to figure out what settings would be required in the Transfer Utility to bring the rigging from the original boots to the new boot obj so that most of the heavy lifting is done for me.  Note that the boots use a posed foot.

Imaged attached so you could see what I have.  Original on the left, my reworked mesh on the right.

boots.JPG
1163 x 995 - 94K
Post edited by mmdestiny on

Comments

• mmdestinymmdestiny Posts: 75
    edited January 2023

To provide some information on what I have done - it's a little awkward to say that I think I've found something that "works," but I don't think is "correct."

I used the transfer utility Source:(original boots) with Item Shape: Current, and Target: (new boots) with Item Shape: Default.  All settings left default except checking "Reverse Source Shape from Target.

This gave me good weights for the new boots.  However, they're technically fit to the old boots, not the G8F.  They move and morph with the G8F, so they're useable for projects/renders etc, but I feel like this is the makings of a "foot gun" situation because it's not really correct.

Post edited by mmdestiny on
  • With the new boots selected go to Edit>Figure>Scene Identificationand set the prferred base to Genesis 8 Female, use the Fit To button in Parameters to fit the boots to Genessi 8 Female, parnt the new boots to Genesis 8 Female (if theya re parented to the old boots) and you can then remove the old pair.

• Richard Haseltine said:

With the new boots selected go to Edit>Figure>Scene Identificationand set the prferred base to Genesis 8 Female, use the Fit To button in Parameters to fit the boots to Genessi 8 Female, parnt the new boots to Genesis 8 Female (if theya re parented to the old boots) and you can then remove the old pair.

Great, thanks Richard.  I'll mark the thread as resolved.