Genesis 9 not really skinned for game engines

This is more of a winge than anything else as I don't expect it will be changed.

In many ways with Genesis 9, Daz seems to be taking step towards being more game engine friendly. The multiple leaf twist bone is one example of this.

However there is one really annoying problem I've noticed with G9 figures when brought into Unreal Engine.

G9 figures seem to have some very low skin weights on some verts. The lowest I've spotted so far is 0.000480659

Unreal Engine ignores weights below 0.01 and I've not found a way to change this without altering and compiling the source code.  I don't know about Unity.

The results looks like this, when you get vertex spikes for some limb poses, especially on sud-1 figures.

Will be keen to see how the Daz To Ue bridge handles this if it ever gets an update.

Untitled-1.jpg
680 x 752 - 110K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

yeah I questioned their claim it was an improvement for use outside DAZ studio too as not really seen any advantages

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2023

it's just daz being daz and making a really bad/poor/greedy decisions, by cutting off even more stuffs to "sell in parts(eyebrow and navel) as aways and making really bad geometry(a full uniform quad model without a proper attention to deal with limbs deforms for animation outside daz, for gaming without a really good reason other than making easy to blend between male and female characters inside daz to make renders

G9 is somewhat between average to fine for render since if you don't really use really high resolution you can spot all bad "geometry(triangles) in the render,  and horrible for game dev and maybe for animation since the geometry is really bad making deform outside daz really bad since many of the "fixes" are jcms which normally only works in daz, which also was a issue in previous characters too but they didn't have the same really bad geometry as G9 which make stuffs more "doable" than daz.

for me i will skip G9, it's not for me or for gaming, it can be good for render inside daz but for me wanting "good or high quality characters is a easy pass.

G3 and G8&G8.1 geometry really superior than G9.

Another issue which i'm having with G9 is like "old versions" like v4, g1 and g2 majority of the content are not suited for "gaming" because they are really in most cases i saw soo far too high poly"(which some good cases here and there but overal the majority i saw so far are really high on poly count) or based on stuffs which work only inside daz like dforce hair where they really don't work outside daz.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited February 2023

It'd be a pain in the ass if using Daz characters for all the NPCs in game, my experience is any single level can accept at most several different Daz characters with original materials, if they're loaded with changeable morphs and physics simulated clothes and JCMs corrected body animations then only the player character and the companion can afford this. If the NPCs don't need their genitals and don't need to change their clothes then those NPCs could better use simpler characters and skeletons.

Post edited by catmaster on