How do you get your library to a new computer

I got a new computer and want to install Daz and reload my content into the new computer. I tried a couple of ways and it's been a disaster. 

Is there a simple way of getting your content loaded into a new computer with a fresh install of Daz? Emphsis on simple.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

How are you installing items?

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,769

Well, the simplest way would be to connect DIM on your new computer to your Daz account and tick the checkbox to reinstall everything.  However, that may not be suitable if you have a download cap or any kind of metering. And also would not take into account anything you have acquired from outside the Daz store.

Next simplest way is to export your metadata (only if you have made manual change), copy your base libraries across to the new machine and hook them up in Daz Studio and then re-import the metadata. There will be a few niggly issues with that maybe.

• My method: physically move the old drive into the new machine and copy the library across using windows explorer. Took about an hour. I don't use DIM. Regards, Richard.
  • Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373
    edited January 2023

I'll soon be having the same issue, but many yonks ago I was researching this and found these 2 threads which may or may not be of help:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/98681/moving-content-to-new-computer

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/128146/how-to-transfer-daz-to-a-new-pc

Post edited by Prince Wao on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

richardandtracy said:

My method: physically move the old drive into the new machine and copy the library across using windows explorer. Took about an hour. I don't use DIM. Regards, Richard.

Why not just point Studio to the old hard drive, just change the drive letter to match? 

• mlolyamlolya Posts: 35

I've had a most frustrating time trying to move my content to a new computer. I spent a lot of money on a new laptop in the hopes that I would be able to run Daz much faster. I have tried all of the ways that evryone has been kind enough to suggest, but nothing has worked. I copied my libraries, making sure the paths were correct, that allowed me to actully see my content in the Content Library but nothing I did could get me to be able to find anything in Smart Content. I then uninstalled Daz and installed it again, this time using Daz Central to reinstall each item I had previously purchased. After hours of work I discovered that some of the items worked and many others simply responded with 'file does not exist'.I've spent days trying to make this work and I'm about to conclude that Daz can't be moved to a new computer. It would be nice if Daz wants to encourage us to keep upgrading and purcahse more products that they would provide some clear and simple way that something as common as buying a new computer didn't cuase such frustration!

• mlolya_4598491mlolya_4598491 Posts: 1
    edited January 2023

Thank you everyone who has tried to help.

Post edited by mlolya_4598491 on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985

I did this a few months ago. Copying the library via my network was too slow, so I ended up copying everything over to an external drive, plugged the drive to the new computer and copied the content library to the new computer. Configured DS preferences on the new computer to the copied content library on the new computer.

To get Smart Content to show everything as installed, copied the CMS database over the new new computer and DS preferences to point to it.  On the new computer I copied the CMS database folder to a data drive instead of the default C: drive as it can grow as you install new content.

You can locate the CMS folder on the old computer at Edit>Preferences>CMS Settings.  I copied the whole CMS folder over to the new computer, then pointed DS to it in Preferences on the new computer.

• Fishtales said:

richardandtracy said:

My method: physically move the old drive into the new machine and copy the library across using windows explorer. Took about an hour. I don't use DIM. Regards, Richard.

Why not just point Studio to the old hard drive, just change the drive letter to match? 

In my case, the drive had been in use in a work PC for 8 years, 8.5 hrs a day, 5 days a week and in use by me at home for 3 years and was starting to have error reports and occasional bad files. Otherwise, I would have done. My new PC has less space than I might want and it would have slightly blocked a vent, which wouldn't have been good. New PC has Raid 1 on 2 3Tb drives to avoid any file loss problems.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

richardandtracy said:

Fishtales said:

richardandtracy said:

In my case, the drive had been in use in a work PC for 8 years, 8.5 hrs a day, 5 days a week and in use by me at home for 3 years and was starting to have error reports and occasional bad files. Otherwise, I would have done. My new PC has less space than I might want and it would have slightly blocked a vent, which wouldn't have been good. New PC has Raid 1 on 2 3Tb drives to avoid any file loss problems.

That's different then. No need to take chances.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I unchecked "delete after install" in DIM, so I still have all my installer zips. When I needed to put them on a new computer a while back, I simply copied all the zips to an external drive, connected that to the new computer, pointed DIM to that folder, and installed all my content as new without downloading anything.