February 2023 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Lighting and Light Effects

2»

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314 said:

marqueA2 said:

Beginner challenge... Hi. First time poster! I have been intersted in Daz/3D modelling for awhile now, but have only this last month been actually learning the Daz Studio software. I have experience in studio photography, so a lot of the concepts are familiar to me, it's just needing to learn my tools. Here I was trying to learn about luminence levels balanced agaist camera settings, clearly not normal lighting, I wanted the drama. :) I can see I have a lot of work to do on it, as the highlights are blown out, and the shadows are pixelated. Constructive feedback appreciated!  
    Yoga Pose Lighting Experiment 1

Welcome to the challenge! So happy to have you here smiley

On the pose, you did an excellent job (thats not an easy pose). I also agree on the light/shadow comments you mentioned. I would lower the light down some or change the shade a smidge which can make a difference sometimes and to help with the shadow, possible consider adding a soft fill light (generally when the shadows pixelates its just a tinge too dark) If you want to make it less destracting you could try like a light pink/soft fill that goes with the main color you chose. Or you could just go for very soft/low white/grey light as well and that should resolve the shadow issue. You could also try adjusting things a bit (or playing a bit) with exposure in the Render Tab as well. Very well done on your first challenge entry! Feel free to rework and repost and experiment. We hope you enjoy the challenge! heart 

Thank you for the awesome feedback! I'll incorporate your tips and rework my render! 

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited February 2023

Summon the Light

Intermediate Challenge

Trying something a little abstract. I tried two slightly different lighting sets for the crystals; would like to hear which you think looks better, along with any other feedback laugh

Summon the Light.png
    1667 x 2000 - 6M
    Summon the Light2.png
    1667 x 2000 - 7M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • HLEET_3DHLEET_3D Posts: 172
    edited February 2023

Title : Fairy bathing
    Intermediate challenge
    Programs : DAZ Studio + Nik Collection

hleet_3D_0419.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 4M
    Post edited by HLEET_3D on
  • Cat SassouCat Sassou Posts: 9
    edited February 2023

Title: Anae

Intermdiate chellenge

Used DAZ IRay and GIMP for minor post work

anae-studio-02-post01.png
    1358 x 1920 - 1M
    Post edited by Cat Sassou on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,797

aprilshowers2065 said:

Summon the Light

Intermediate Challenge

Trying something a little abstract. I tried two slightly different lighting sets for the crystals; would like to hear which you think looks better, along with any other feedback laugh

crystals are always a challenge, the question seems to be do you want to show how they reflect the light with caustics of light passing through and facettes reflecting the light or do you want them to glow with magic light themselves, from my personal experience I would say both is not possible to show in one object. the closes thing you might come to that is adding a point light, a spot lights or an emissive surface at the base of the crystals, trying to make them glow themselves with an emissive surface often takes away from their crystalline nature.

So personally I like the second version better but that really is a question of taste

HLEET_3D said:

Title : Fairy bathing
    Intermediate challenge
    Programs : DAZ Studio + Nik Collection

lovely light settings and nice use of that gobo light, you might want to add some greenery (like a palm tree) to add to the effect  tat the shadows are cast from the plants

Cat Sassou said:

Title: Anae

Intermdiate chellenge

Used DAZ IRay and GIMP for minor post work

good work on a soft light setting, though at some places it feels a bit greyed out and  the rather dark shadow on the exe looks to hard for me.

question, did you use bloom to achieve the effect? If yes I would suggest to set the bloom filter threshold a good deal higher (I often use abotu 9000) this might require a stronger light source to make the cut. This sounds contradictionary to what I said before but it works better to adjust the too much of light in tone mapping settings then then (e.g.set f/stop to 16)

you might try as well to add a very low light (emissive plane) from her front to soften up the dark shadown on her eye

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Version 3 of  Wizard casting a spell . I added shadows back to the pink light, but I am wondering if that is making the magic helix a bit duller.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,189
    edited February 2023

Image title, “Roses in the Sun”.

Created for the February 2023 Lighting and Light Effects Contest 

Intermediate level

A bit about this image,

This is a VDB atmosphere and a spotlight shines through an iron grate in the window.

The only post effect I use is resizing the image.

Because of the nature of backlighting, the roses were cast into silhouette and were too dark for their detail to be seen.

For this reason, I added an emissive effect to the roses, their leaves, stems and also the vase on the table received emissive effects.

I added the base images to both emissive and luminosity channels and adjusted the luminosity parameter to desirable levels.

I tried to illuminate the roses from the front with various lights ghost, spot... and it subtracted from the atmospheric effect of the VDB.

So, I opted to go with the self-emissive light effect instead.

Roses in the Sun 6 small.png
    4000 x 2250 - 5M
    Post edited by RexRed on

sueya said:

Version 3 of  Wizard casting a spell . I added shadows back to the pink light, but I am wondering if that is making the magic helix a bit duller.

did you add soem colour to the ambient channel for the spiral? I think there s space to crank that up some more

RexRed said:

Image title, “Roses in the Sun”.

Created for the February 2023 Lighting and Light Effects Contest 

Intermediate level

A bit about this image,

This is a VDB atmosphere and a spotlight shines through an iron grate in the window.

The only post effect I use is resizing the image.

Because of the nature of backlighting, the roses were cast into silhouette and were too dark for their detail to be seen.

For this reason, I added an emissive effect to the roses, their leaves, stems and also the vase on the table received emissive effects.

I added the base images to both emissive and luminosity channels and adjusted the luminosity parameter to desirable levels.

I tried to illuminate the roses from the front with various lights ghost, spot... and it subtracted from the atmospheric effect of the VDB.

So, I opted to go with the self-emissive light effect instead.

interesting idea and nice effects!

just an info for you, I cought covid so my responses might come a bit late, sorry about that

• Linwelly said:

just an info for you, I cought covid so my responses might come a bit late, sorry about that

Get well soon. 

• sueya said:

Version 3 of  Wizard casting a spell . I added shadows back to the pink light, but I am wowonder if that makmagic helix a bit duller.

Have you ever tried Bloom? Bloom will generate the sparks in a blurry effect if you want to try settings at.001 and work up. I think you like the effect creates

AgitatedRiot said:

sueya said:

Version 3 of  Wizard casting a spell . I added shadows back to the pink light, but I am wowonder if that makmagic helix a bit duller.

Have you ever tried Bloom? Bloom will generate the sparks in a blurry effect if you want to try settings at.001 and work up. I think you like the effect creates

she's working in 3Delight, so no bloom,

thanks for the recovery wishes!

• Ok, I didn't know that.

• axionescyllasaxionescyllas Posts: 112
    edited February 2023

Hi,

Title: "The Green Cube".

Created for the lighting and light effect competition of February 2023

Daz Studio for all exept conversion to jpg on photoshop. (no post-work)

Beginners Challenge

I am French, I still familiarize myself with all the technical terms around the rendering and other parameter relating to Daz

For the level, I'm not sure, I have been playing with Daz for a year. But this year, I wanted to learn and be effective. I discovered these learning competitions last week ...

Nao is on his knees at her office to look at the light in this magnificent green cube, she looks at you and says: "Come see!", Or maybe: "Look!"

I created a 4 wall room a ceiling a ceiling so that the light in the room comes from outside and the lamp behind it. The projected shadows are that of the window and some branches of a tree lit from the exterior with a sphere whose surface parameters I have changed to make it a light source. I used the same technique for the lamp with a warmer light.

For the composition, it is improvisation to try to respect what I read on the challenge. But I wonder if I was not mistaken with 2022: p

light contest ferb 23.3 fin.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by axionescyllas on
  • aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited February 2023

Thanks @Linwelly. After toying around a bit, I decided to go with the 2nd version, but used a canvas to add a bit of a halo to the crystals

Summon the Light3b.png
    1667 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on

Linwelly said:

Stay well and lots of healing energy your way Linwellyheart

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is my final version I have increased the ambiance and changed the colour of the sparkles to orange.

• Aki3dAki3d Posts: 142

title: caustic fantasy

program: DS

intermediate challenge

My 2. picture for the challenge, also about caustics but very different than my first one.

• apprenticeapprentice Posts: 58
    edited February 2023

Title: The Beauty of the Highlands

Level: Beginner - Second Entry

Major Items:

the-highlands-evening-v1_1.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by apprentice on

aki3d said:

title: caustic fantasy

program: DS

intermediate challenge

My 2. picture for the challenge, also about caustics but very different than my first one.

Fantastic caustics and DOF there!

apprentice said:

Title: The Beauty of the Highlands

Level: Beginner - Second Entry

Major Items:

great choice on the natural light settings there

This challenge is now closed, thanks for participating, March will be up in a bit

Showcase Participants for Beginner Challenge Lighting

marqueA2 Yoga pose

End of the watch by psema4

The green Cube by axionescyllas

Showcases participants for the intermediate challenge  Light Effects

RexRed Roses in the Sun

Cat Sassou with Anae

and New Users Welcome

MattD80 with Light in the House

Thanks a lot for pariticpating everybody, well done!

Thank you for choosing my piece in the intermediate contest! I am flattered to win among so many other great entries! It was fun being a part of this event and all the best to everyone involved. Sincerely, RexRed. heart

• Congrats to the winners laugh Great pieces

• Gratulations to the winners. Keep going.