Possible to Use dForce on non-dForce Items?

Is it possible to use clothing that was not sold as dForce compliant, and set up dForce on it somehow? If so, how would that be done? Are the dForce options in the Menus enough?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387

You can indeed apply a dForce modifier to the surfaces of items not setup for dForce. Whether it will work well with it or not will depend on the clothes though, as dForce is highly dependent on how the mesh was built.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

Select the clothing in the scene tab, and click the burger menu (3 horizontal bars) > Edit > Geometry > Add dForce Dynamic Surface

That will add dForce to the item.

Clothing not build for dForce might or might not work. There is a risc of explossion or that they fall apart, if they aren't welded.

Some of it can be fixed with a weightmap. Video by Mada 

• mdingmding Posts: 1,213

I found these helpful:

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-master-cloth-simulation-presets

But of course, it is always the best to learn how to use dForce.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,129
    edited January 2023

@felis:

@Leana:

Thank you both very much for all of this. I watched the youtube tutorial.

Post edited by inquire on

In the video, Mada seems to be working with something like a "dForce Engine." Is this part of DAZ Studio? Is it something to be purchased separately? I can't seem to find it in the DAZ menus. Does anyone know how to access this?

The dForce engine is what you are using when you simulate.

So it is part of Daz Studio.

It looks like Mada made it visible and was making adjustments in it. How do I make it visible?

I think you might be talking about the surface tab.

After you have applied dForce you will have an area in the bottom of the surface tab, and you can directly see it if you select the Simulation group.

I really don't see it. Is there some window I could open? Is there a pane that could be selected?

See here.

It is a cube where I added dForce modifier.

DS_dForce2.PNG
    415 x 414 - 35K

So it's in Surfaces? From the Edit/Geometry menu, I can select a static or a dynamic dForce modifier. If I select a dynamic, I guess I would use the animation timeline.

Would it be simplier to use a static? But how would that move? Would I just adjust the sliders in the Surfaces menu?

I still don't understand, but I'm trying to do understand.

You always want to use dynamic if you want an item that can simulate, no matter timeline or current frame.

Static is for a collision object, if you want to set specific parameters.

And what does the simulation? Is it just moving those sliders in the surfaces menu?

edited January 2023

Do I have to hit "Run Simulation" or something like that? Where is the "Go" or "Start" or "Run" button?

Post edited by inquire on
  • The Simulate command is in the Simulation Settings pane, which also has the options to add dynamic and static dForce modifiers in its option menu. The surface properties determine how that part of the object behaves when simulated.

OK. I'll look for the Simulation Settings Pane. Where, by the way, is it?

inquire said:

OK. I'll look for the Simulation Settings Pane. Where, by the way, is it?

Windows > Panes > Simulation Settings