Crashing when hovering cursor over viewport since update to 4.20

msschmenkmsschmenk Posts: 5

[Crashing when hovering cursor over viewport since update to 4.20] Not all the time but frequent enough that I want it fixed.  Seems like all Gen3 models trigger it. Thanks in advance. 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Please put your question in the post body and the title

What Drawstyle is the Viewport set to use? What GPU do you have, and which driver is it using?

• Thank you for your assistance Richard.  The crashes typically occur when I start a new scene and when viewport set to Texture Shaded.  PC is Dell laptop i7/8G RAM and driver up to date. My scenes are simple, one character and simple lighting.  This has happened for some time now but thought I might see a pattern but not so. 

• 8GB is pretty limited, though Texture Shaded is not demanding. It might be worth setting Highlight Style, in the Draw Settings pane, to Bounding Box Only.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

One thing to consider, try a different mouse with different drivers.

• Bound box works but of course not enough detail.  I can work "up" the various draw setting and especially like the smooth shading.  Eventually as I continue and play with smooth shading it eventually crashes.  Never had any of this before updating to 4.20.  Should I try and roll back?  I monitor in task manager and am not using much resources.  Admit I am underpowered but I don't think it's the real issue here.

• Not Drawstyle, the way it highlights things as your mouse passes over them. You may have chnaged it already, but by default theer is an overlay of the highlight colour on the item immediately under the cursor - the setting chnages that to just drawing the corners of the bounding box around it, which may be less demanding and so less crash-prone.

• OK got it.  Just tried that (and wow never ceases to amaze me the levels this program has!).  No dice.  Seriously, the moment I pass the cursor one pixel into the viewport CRASH.  Might be onto something with the drawing setting tho! 

• Updated to 4.21 and goet excited to see some C++ updating and hoped it would fix.  Nope.  Also looked at mouse and drivers but no help.