Relocate Daz Installation Manager downloads to new drive

I've searched around, and there's plenty of information on how to relocate content folders to a new drive, and I already know how to do that well enough. But I also want to relocate my DIM download packages. I know I can change the download folder in the DIM settings, but if I copy all of the download packages to the new folder and designate that folder as the download folder, will DIM realize they've been moved? Or will it still look for those packages where they were originally downloaded if I want to uninstall/reinstall products? Or, even worse, will it tell me these products are still available for download in the Ready to Download tab?

Also, I understand how to relocate content folders and update Daz Studio to find them, and I know how to designate a new installation folder in DIM. But if I understand correctly, the manifest files will still identify the installed products as having been installed in the old folder. I know I can change the setting to make DIM install updates in the new folder, but what will happen when I try to uninstall an installed product (which I do regularly for old content or large products I don't use regularly), will it know where to uninstall it from? Is there a way to batch update the manifests with the new folder location? Or is the smarter thing to do just uninstall all products using DIM, designate a new installation folder in DIM, and then reinstall all products using DIM (since I have to copy everything anyway, I assume this won't actually take that much more time than copying the content using Windows)? Or is the amount of time for DIM to uninstall and reinstall all those files an order of magnitude slower than copying the files in Windows?

Thanks.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,311
    edited January 2023

thoreandan said:

I've searched around, and there's plenty of information on how to relocate content folders to a new drive, and I already know how to do that well enough. But I also want to relocate my DIM download packages. I know I can change the download folder in the DIM settings, but if I copy all of the download packages to the new folder and designate that folder as the download folder, will DIM realize they've been moved? Or will it still look for those packages where they were originally downloaded if I want to uninstall/reinstall products? Or, even worse, will it tell me these products are still available for download in the Ready to Download tab?

It will see them in the new location.

Also, I understand how to relocate content folders and update Daz Studio to find them, and I know how to designate a new installation folder in DIM. But if I understand correctly, the manifest files will still identify the installed products as having been installed in the old folder. I know I can change the setting to make DIM install updates in the new folder, but what will happen when I try to uninstall an installed product (which I do regularly for old content or large products I don't use regularly), will it know where to uninstall it from? Is there a way to batch update the manifests with the new folder location? Or is the smarter thing to do just uninstall all products using DIM, designate a new installation folder in DIM, and then reinstall all products using DIM (since I have to copy everything anyway, I assume this won't actually take that much more time than copying the content using Windows)? Or is the amount of time for DIM to uninstall and reinstall all those files an order of magnitude slower than copying the files in Windows?

I assume from the first question that you kep the zips - if so you can select everything in the installed tab, right-click, and use the option to reinstall everything using the current paths. You could also use soemthing like Notepad++ to do a search and replace across all files in the Manifests folder to update the stored path.

Thanks.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Thank you, Richard, much appreciated.

• thoreandanthoreandan Posts: 151
    edited January 2023

Edit: decided to start a new thread about my question regarding custom actions because it's a separate issue from the purpose of this thread.

Post edited by thoreandan on