A 48gb project?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

A 48gb project?

Tonight I used the new Viking Camp and two DS Adam for Genesis 9 males with Gen 9 clothing and an economy HDRI and the scene was too large for my 2x3090s in SLI mode to render.

I had to delete "everything" in the Viking Camp that was not in camera view before my cards would not kick into black screen and/or revert to my CPU.

For some reason this does not seem like it would equal 48gb but apparently so.

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• 1049 Texture, Bump, Metallic, Normal, Roughness, and Transparency Maps (4096 x 4096)

This vendor has at least one other very demanding product. Resizing soem of the maps, manually or via a tool like Scene Optimiser, would probably be a great help.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    Surprising that an environment that looks like something from a playstation 3 game would be so demanding.
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,190

Well, there is a clue as it has 1049 4k textures, which uncompressed would be around 50 GB.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282

Thanks Richard and Felis for confirming my suspicions.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2023

I am very pleased with the Viking Camp and after all of the discounts from the bundle pricing and all the freebies I probably paid about 5 dollars for the camp.

I wish the land grass etc. had been a separate object as well as, a few of the textures could have been even higher resolution but that is what shaders are for. laugh

I believe I can break apart instances and delete items not needed.

This is a great starting point and I do play Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and this Viking Camp scene has better close up detail than that game even in 4k. 

The grass and plants on the ground are not flat 2-dimensional planes and the wood textures do not pixelate heavily when you get up close.

Also, it did not take 200 artists 10 years to make this.

The artwork is superlative in this camp and using Daz and its functions, this camp can achieve stunning realism that far surpasses that of any 30-fps shooter.

It will take me 2 hours to render 1 frame, but the final product is so detailed I can have it printed on a 13,000 x 13,000 pixel king-sized bedspread or wall tapestry.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

felis said:

Well, there is a clue as it has 1049 4k textures, which uncompressed would be around 50 GB.

Wow, thanks to this thread I know NOT to purchase from this PA is they can't optimize their models

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846

FSMCDesigns said:

felis said:

Wow, thanks to this thread I know NOT to purchase from this PA is they can't optimize their models

I got stuck with the XI Commercial Center in the Nikolai bundle. The XI Commercial Center was completely unusable for me, so I uninstalled it and crossed that vendor off the list.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Look for all-black or all-white maps. Some vendors (not just on Daz) include a metallicity and maybe opacity map for every single surface, and you can free up a lot of VRAM just by deleting, for example, all-black metallicity maps from non-metallic surfaces.

• Thanks for the heads up ... I will probably end up getting it as 'viking' is a theme I can use. I also got the XI Commercial Center ... my system barely handled it, but I was able to render it (oh, without people and such).  I too will be careful with that PA's future offerings.

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 553
    edited January 2023

The ground object alone has 62 texture tiles! They even have metallic maps on them, normal maps and bump maps. Clearly not a very resource friendly decision....

The UV maps of the ground object are unfortuantely not really meant for tiling textures, thus they cannot be swapped out easily.

For reference: https://www.daz3d.com/xi-viking-camp

Post edited by markusmatern on
  • I've said before that more information needs to be added to the product page.  If a product doesn't work on a top end GPU 3090/4090 (VRAM) which according to the latest Steam Hardware survey less than <0.5% of people own without using additional products and or skills to modify in another 3D program, then it's basically a bad product. 

I remember having the same issues with their nightclub.

• The What's Included does give the texture count and size, so the information is there. It is possible to work around the size in various ways (CPU render, texture resize). I would certainly prefer a more optimised approach - at the very least it would seem likely that soem of the maps could be smaller without interfering with its suitability for close-ups - but that doesn't mean it is a bad product.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,375
    The fact it looks like skyrim graphics makes it a bad product, the fact it also cant be rendered on two high end graphics cards means it's kind of useless. Imagine how incredible you could actually make an environment look if you actually used a 48GB resource budget properly.... the mind reels