SOLVED - question about necessary harddrive space

mdingmding Posts: 1,213

Could somebody with experience tell me about how much hd disc space i will need (average) for every 1000 products i download? I would like to soon buy a hd big enough to download most of my products and make a backup of that. Thanks!

Post edited by mding on

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,769
    edited January 2023

I guess this is something that is best asked of several people and then an average taken from the answers since obviously products can vary wildly in filesize depending on what they contain.

My storage is currently around 523GB / 1,000 but that is including the download zips, some ancilliery files (free HDRIs and other support assets etc) as well as all my saved scene files and renders. When my Synology stops churning and gives me some folder sizes I will update the post with the actual installed product size average.

EDIT: For JUST the installed product data it is around 296GB / 1,000

Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • mdingmding Posts: 1,213
    edited January 2023

@SofaCitizen: Thankyou very much for that information. It is good that the zip files are included, so i am quite save to guess. As i have sth like 5000 products, 4-5 tb should be safe for future shopping.

With 1000 products, i don't think i need a product size average, thankyou very much for your help! 

Post edited by mding on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

It really depends on how much you shop and the size of the products you are buying and what all you are going to save on it. Is it going to just be for content or is it going to be content and a backup of all the .zips? A 5-6TB should last you for quite some time

Thankyou @frank0314!

I want to keep the zips and backup the whole thing on another hd, so i don't have to download - uninstall - and redownload again regularly. But i guess 5tb will be ok for the main content hd.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

yeah my 2TB DAZ content drive is red, I need a bigger one

edited January 2023

With the price of HDD atm as well as externals, you can get a pretty big one for very reasonable prices. Watch sales on Amazon or the like. We just got the wife an internal 8 4TB for $200 cause she had 2 HDD go down within days of one another. You can get an external quite a bit cheaper and bigger.

Post edited by frank0314 on

@WendyLuvsCatz: Ha, thats what i have also atm, but for the whole computer...

@frank0314: if she is like you a seasoned PA or cg artist, no wonder she needs such a huge hd, but for the next years i guess i will be safe with an external 5 tb hdd, as i am not a pro and my library hopefully won't grow that fast lol. Thanks again, it is great to get help at this forum!

edited January 2023

Yeah, she is. She's the other part of the company. I do the modeling of certain things and she does it for other things. I tend to do the big environments and she does the singular stuff and smaller packs. We go through a lot of HDD's. We have a decent stack of them here from 18yrs of development.

Post edited by frank0314 on

I didn't know that, i remember stumbling upon a female avatar with the 0314 ending when skimming through some older threads at this forum and thinking that could be your wife, lol. Sounds very nice to be able to work together with the own partner on the same projects.