dforce modifier weight node is driving me insane

perlkperlk Posts: 854

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what is happening here. I have a necklace model that I have created in Hexagon and imported into DS 4.21 Pro. I have tried it as a prop and also as a converted figure. I have set a dforce modifier weight node to try to avoid explosion on the pendant (also to avoid it getting weirdly distorted). 

What's happening is that the bit I have excluded from the weight node is getting trapped inside the neck of the figure.

Any hints as to how to avoid this? TIA!

Post edited by perlk on

Comments

• So you are setting it to have zero influence weight, and the second image shows how it loads without modification?

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited January 2023

You should attach the part that doesn't move to a rigid follow node. It doesn't really make sense to have dForce if the pendant is fixed. Make the rigid follow node selecting a piece of geometry from the necklace, then parent your pendant to it.

Or you have to go for Joint corrective morphs, that will activate hidden sliders adapting the geometry when the Genesis moves into specific positions.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 854

Richard Haseltine said:

So you are setting it to have zero influence weight, and the second image shows how it loads without modification?

Yes correct, and the second image shows pre-dforce.

edited January 2023

@hansolocambo - I'm not following your first idea. How does one parent to a piece of the geometry? Would I need to add bones to the necklace instead of having it as a prop? That might be a good idea, I'll load the pendant separately in that case.

Post edited by perlk on
  • perlk said:

@hansolocambo - I'm not following your first idea. How does one parent to a piece of the geometry? Would I need to add bones to the necklace instead of having it as a prop? That might be a good idea, I'll load the pendant separately in that case.

You split it into two parts, the neclace and the pendant. The necklace is dynamic, and you use the Geometry Editor to select the area to which the pendant should attach and make it a Rigid Follow Node (ruight-click menu>Geometry Assignment), then you load the pendant and parent it to the Rigid Follow Node.

Richard Haseltine said:

perlk said:

You split it into two parts, the neclace and the pendant. The necklace is dynamic, and you use the Geometry Editor to select the area to which the pendant should attach and make it a Rigid Follow Node (ruight-click menu>Geometry Assignment), then you load the pendant and parent it to the Rigid Follow Node.

Perfect, I can do that...thank you!

I'm still having the same trouble. I created a Rigid Follow Node on the part of the necklace and it didn't work right, so then I added the dforce modifier weight node after that. I get explosions on simulation now and the pendant flies off into space. Could it be because I am using the Timeline for Frames to Simulate? Thanks!

Actually - never mind. I got it to work but I had to convert the necklace to a figure and parent that to G8F to make it work without explosions and without flying away. Wonder why that is!

• A prop wouldn't follow poses or morphs, which is why I was asking about the fit on the base figure above.