Is there a way to convert genesis 8 textures to genesis 9?

Is there a way to convert Genesis 8 textures to genesis 9?  Or should I finally try to make skin textures from my resource photos I still have?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,387
    edited January 2023

Do you want to actually convert it, or simply use the G8F texture on G9?

In the second case, you can use this: https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-9-genesis-3-8-and-81-female

Post edited by Leana on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Leana said:

Do you want to actually convert it, or simply use the G8F texture on G9?

In the second case, you can use this: https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-9-genesis-3-8-and-81-female

i can't afford the legacy uvs for Genesis 9 at this time.

• If that's the case, I suspect you're out of luck, I'm afraid. The material surface regions are different between the two generations, as are the UV's within those surfaces. As a result, it's fiendishly difficult to work out where the textures for each facet go between the two generations. If not using the geoshells supplied in the product you'd have to make them yourself, and re-map them yourself. Not an easy task - basically you'd have to duplicate Cayman Studio's work yourself.

There is another way to do it, which is probably even harder work, and that's to write a program/script to read the two characters, take the maps and based on the UV's and material zones, copy the appropriate pixels from the G8 maps and draw them on the temporary G9 maps which could then be applied to the G9 figure. Not easy, and fraught with possible errors. Some of the possible problems include:

• How do you map from one character to the other, especially if they are different proportions?
    • How do you stretch pixels in the maps if the distortion on one generation is more or less than on the other generation character in that area of the model?
    • How do you deal with the G8 facet's texture crossing a boundary between G9 material zones? Unless it's overlapped correctly, a seam will skow.
    • Just keeping track of the temporary texture files could be a problem in the long run.

These are not insignificant problems, and it'll take a lot of work to overcome them. Consequently, it's probably quicker & easier to save up for the Cayman Studios geoshells. Probably not what you want to hear, but I fear some things are less than easy.

Regards,

Richard.

• There are instructions in other threads for using an external application (I've been told Blender isn't good for this, though that is surprsing) to bake between meshes - you needto get Genesis 9 into the Genesis 8 Shape, or vice versa, perhaps using the clone shape as a starter then you aply the maps you want to convert to the Genesis 8, set the Genesis 9 up to receive the enw maps, and bake.