How to import bones and weight maps into DAZ?

I wanted to modify a figure in third party software as I needed to fix some things. I'd rather not start over. Is there a way to import a rig and weight maps into DAZ studio? I tried importing from FBX, but it imports the rig separate from the figure. And the object itself is just one big mesh with no bones. Very strange. In DAZ Studio, I can't delete the bones (they're actually the root structure) without clearing the scene.

Comments

• Daz Studio will, I believe, import Motion Builder FBX files (not something I have the means to test) - unfortunately the format is loose enough that a general importere that could handle all variants would be a huge undertaking. If the FBX doesn't work then I don't think there is a way to get rigging in.

• Transfer Utility keeps crashing. So I have to restart from scratch. Very annoying.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

AlienRenders said:

Transfer Utility keeps crashing. So I have to restart from scratch. Very annoying.

When using Transfer Utility try to clear any selections first. 

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892
    edited January 2023

Try testing in the public build - maybe that will prevent it from crashing. They fixed some of the problems with the transfer utility in it.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Thanks, I'll keep that in mind in the future. I've moved on to another software for this project. The original was in DAZ, but there's no reason for me to stay there. I am doing more rigging in DAZ lately and was hoping to get more experience with it, but without being able to import rigging and weight maps, DAZ Studio is pretty much dead in the water for me for asset creation. It's just too much hassle setting it up in DAZ.