High ram usage

I have recently had scenes that used to fit perfectly on my laptop 3060 that now don't fit. I had rendered out the scene 5-6 times before with no issues and now I can't even after a few tries.  Ram just fills up when it never used to. Only thing I think that changed was updating the studio driver but I'm sure I rendered ok after that, plus I went back to old one and still no rendering. I can get a render if I delete all but the main character but as soon as I add anything else it will fail.

any ideas what could have changed? Is there any windows management that I should be doing (new to windows). I saw that my machine ram was filling so I defragged the hd in a vain attempt to fix my problems. Any reasons my graphics card would suddenly be getting full?

cheers

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Do not mix terms RAM and VRAM, they are two completely different things.

How much RAM (system memory) does your computer have?
    How much VRAM (graphics memory) does your 3060 have?

• globallyglobally Posts: 122

PerttiA said:

Do not mix terms RAM and VRAM, they are two completely different things.

How much RAM (system memory) does your computer have?
    How much VRAM (graphics memory) does your 3060 have?

dam it, still managed to get it wrong but in the title this time. Pretty sure I have 8gb of each but the point still stands, I have no idea why the same scene would render 5-6 time with no issue and now I can't get it to render without stripping nearly everything out. I only mention the ram as I noticed it was getting filled when I've never noticed that before. May well have happened every time before but only noticeable now as I'm looking.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

If you only have 8GB's of RAM, that isn't nearly enough for DS.

The minimum (in practice) would be 32GB's of RAM and 8GB's of VRAM, but the latter is becoming too little if one is using the latest DS with assets released within the last one or two years (especially hair).
    One can get by with 16GB's of RAM and 6GB's of VRAM, but that does require being careful about what one loads into the scene, and there are no standard rules about what takes how much RAM or VRAM, there may be two items that appear similar, but one is light on the resources while the other takes down even more powerful computers.

Difficult to give advice without knowing the specifications of your computer