Issues with OOT Rasta Tails.

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...I recently purchased OOT's Rasta Tails for G3F and ran into a few issues when using it on a G8 character.

First, for G8F one I had to fit the tails component manually as using autofit there was a serious "kink" at neck level.. 

Second, after applying a texture, I noticed that the full cap still appeared after rendering and needed to reduce it's opacity to zero in the surfaces tab. I also notices that even though the in the Content Library tab the materials were listed as being "Iray " they loaded in with waht appears to be the parameters for 3DL (including the 3dl Lighting Model channel)

Finally, when I attempted to use the Hairblending feature, there was no "On" button, just the "Off" one.

There apparently is also supposed to be some sort of "Guide" (most likely for manipulating the tails) which is indicated in the Surfaces tab but does not appear anywhere in the viewport.

I cleared the character and hair then loaded a G3F character to see if that changed the situation but save for a better autofit, all the other issues above still occurred.

Has anyone else run into the same issues with this product?  .A disappointment as this would have worked well for a few of my characters.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited January 2023

...OK clicking the "Apply First" icon as mentioned in that thread appeared to work for the hair cap, however, I still don't have the "On" selection to use the Hariblending feature, however the Hair blending now works.

I also thoiught there'd be more bones in the tails (like with the Rochelle Ponytail), however there are only the "Wind" and "Blow" morphs parameters tab but no basic movement or styling ones which seems to be unusual.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,189

kyoto kid said:

I also thoiught there'd be more bones in the tails (like with the Rochelle Ponytail), however there are only the "Wind" and "Blow" morphs parameters tab but no basic movement or styling ones which seems to be unusual.

Is that on G3 or G8?

You have to remember that autofit will remove all custom bones. 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,437

There is a ReadMe with the product, but no convenient link to open it (Readme's\39373_oot-hairblending-rasta-hair-tutorial.pdf). The ReadMe web page has a link to an online version (Rasta Tails Hair and OOT Hairblending 2.0 for Genesis 3 Female(s) [Documentation Center])

Okay, first, you can get the hair to fit to G8 by using the SceneID trick. With nothing selected in the scene, load the base and the tail of choice. (Click away from the base so that the tail does not try to fit to it when you load it.) Select the base (or the tail), right-click on the hamburger menu or the Scene tab, and select Edit -> Scene Identification. In the popup, select the ellipsis to the far right of Preferred Base. In the ensuiing popup, navigate to Genesis 8, expand the entry and select Female. Accept and you co back to the Scene Identification dialog. Accept again. Repeat for the other part of the hair (tail or base). Load your G8 character if not already present. Now you can fit the two parts of the hair to G8 with no autofit hassle.

You found the proper method to apply the proper shader to the hair pieces, so that is okay now. According to the ReadMe, just apply one of the 10 Hairblending Styles to activate it. This applies the overlay mask to the appropriate channels in the hair. (Maybe OOT changed the basic procedure later by adding the ON preset). Now you can select the overlay color. You can see the pertinent surface channels at the bottom of the list of properties in the Surfaces tab.

I only see the Blow presets, but there are a couple of bones in the tails (lHair, lHairSwing, rHair, rHairSwing) which are used by those Blow presets. Don't forget, autofit removes extra bones, so try to avoid it. 

All should be good now. Except, for me, DAZ Studio crashes every time I try to render it. (Studio v4.21.1.26 beta, NVIDIA driver 527.56). It works okay on v4.12.1.118, with the same video driver, obviously. In fact, other Hairblending sets also crash the Studio 4.21.1.26​  beta. I tried Alice Wet and Dry and Caprice Hair but they both crashed. The trend was obvious. This is not good. I have not seen any buzz about it in the forums yet.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Have you tried removing all the maps from transmitted color?

IceCrMn said:

Have you tried removing all the maps from transmitted color?

Hey! Whaddya know? That worked. Is this a known problem?

yep

Thanks. Okay, found the discussion. The title is a little vague, and "Hairblending" isn't mentioned once, which is what I had been searching for. Can't read them all...

It got talked about in the beta thread also.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7944791/#Comment_7944791

Thanks go to doctorjellybean for the fix.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932

...apologies for not getting back to this. Been busy with real life rubbish so Daz sort of ended up ended up on the back burner for a while.

@felis .... fitting from G3  toG8.  I always manually fit hair between generations and then parent it to the head to preserve the movement and style morphs. With long hair it also avoids getting a kink at the neck level. Sort of Interesting this happens between G3 and G8 as they both use the same base mesh with both have an upper and lower neck bone True it can be a tedious process as not all head shapes will be  perfect fit.

As to the scalp issue yeah never clicked on the "Apply First" icon as I thought it just referred to "apply the base colours first before hairblending". Other products have inactive icons just for information or instructions that do nothing when clicked on. which is what I thought that was (yeah total "headdesk" time).  Have it all working now but was dismayed that the white colour for hairblending is more of a light blonde and didn't fit with the  character's description so I used Slosh's UHT 2 shader presets.

Image attached.

Amineh final build test.jpg
    741 x 1200 - 230K