Looking for an external hdd to hold my daz content

I have been using cloud services to hold my daz content but it is getting too expenisve for me and also impractable.  I am trying to find an exteranal hdd that is not too expensive but won't break easily.  I think SSD would be better than regular, but I don't know why.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

4-5TB Seagate external USB drive, the kind that gets power from the USB.

• Love my WD Elements, been using them for years for both Mac and PC, and swapping back and forth.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,113

I'm the poster child for external USB drives. I have 18 in use between my systems.

The main 3D box has seven; three 5 TB, two 4 TB, and two 1 TB (a legacy from when it was a Windows 7 system).

Currently, Amazon has 5 TB Seagate drives for $110 - I get mine at Costco, usually for $90.

Or you can go SSD - I have two Oyendigital 4 TB SSD that I paid $470 each for; currently on Amazon at $399

Or - you can get an internal SSD; Crucial has their 4 TB internal on sale at $269 - and add this SATA to USB adapter from Amazon for $14

If you do the Seagate, I'd get two and use one to back up the other - which makes the internal SSD look pretty good.

Beware! There are a couple of 8 TB and 16 TB usb SSD drives on Amazon for about $110 - these are obvious frauds - unknown names, all the 5-star reviews are for dog toys, clothing, and other wildly unrelated items.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

namffuak said:

If you do the Seagate, I'd get two and use one to back up the other - which makes the internal SSD look pretty good.

The only Seagate drive that I have had any problems with, was an external USB drive that had it's own power source. Apparently there was a discrepecy between the voltage level the motherboard was feeding to the USB and what the external power source ws feeding (based on the given BIOS error code)

Been using Seagate only, both at home and at work (as sys.adm.) for over 20 years, and the one mentioned above has been the only one out of easily over 100 drives that has had any problems.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,113

So far, none of the external USB drives have failed - but I keep two alternating backups of everything just in case.That's why I have so many drives. The MB of my render system has headers to support stupid amounts of USB connections; the case has external ports for 15 and I'm currently using 7.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,110

Has anyone heard of pCloud?  I saw they have lifetime plans.  Are they any good?