GPU or CPU or both?

I'm getting a new laptop for use with Daz. My old one was limited in what I could do because of the 4 gig of ram and an older 1050 Nvidia card. In the advanced Render screen I had GPU checked and CPU unchecked, but my new laptop will have 16 gigs of ram and an 8 core CPU as well as an RTX 3060 with 6 gigs of ram.

Would it be best to turn on both the CPU and the GPU in the render settings or should I leave it just the GPU. If anyone has any other advice about how I can optimize this laptop for use wth Daz through any other settings I would appreciate it.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited January 2023

In general, no sense in checking the CPU, it is around 20+ times slower as the GPU and if one does check CPU as the rendering device, it does effect the responsiveness of using the computer for something else while it's rendering.

16GB's of RAM and 6GB's of VRAM will be highly limiting, generally 32GB's of RAM and minimum 8GB's of VRAM (on supported nVidia GPU) is about the minimum with the latest versions of DS, using assets released within the last 1-2 years.

Post edited by PerttiA on