How to assign face groups to surfaces in geometry editor

I tried to assign a face group to a surface in geometry editor. In studio 4.11. It did not work.

So I must have did it wrong. Maybe the geometry editor is not the right tool for it?

Now I want to know how to do it right.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

I only have 4.21.

There you select the polygons you want to include, then right-click > Geometry Assignment > Create Surface from selected

You can also start by creating the surface and then add the selection using the Tool Settings pane.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I believe the geometry editor is the ONLY tool that does what you're looking for, and Felis's suggestion is how it's worked for as long as I can remember.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

felis said:

I only have 4.21.

There you select the polygons you want to include, then right-click > Geometry Assignment > Create Surface from selected

You can also start by creating the surface and then add the selection using the Tool Settings pane.

Thanks for your help, felis.

Oh no. That is what I tried. But it did not work.

Didn't work is very little informative.

How does it look in the Tool Settings tab?

Elaboration with attached picture. [Actually, no. No attached picture because the forum's picture uploading feature is still broken.]

Problem: The model has two Face Groups assigned to the same Surface and I want to assign those two face groups to each their own surface.

Face Groups called “Feet, Front” and “Door Relief, Right” are both assigned to the Surface called “Door Relief, Right”.

The attached picture [would have] shows this. I have the Surface called “Door Relief, Right” selected. Note that the right door relief and the feet are both highlighted as purple in the viewport.

So I tried this:

1. I selected the Face Group called “Feet, Front”. This made only the front feet get highlighted in the viewport.

2. I alt-clicked the viewport to get the pop-up menu where I selected

Geometry Assignment > Create Surface

Here I gave the new surface the name “Feet, Front”, and clicked “Accept”.

A new Surface called “Feet, Front” got created. But it shows a zero in the “Count” column, which I presume means there are actually no faces assigned to it.

And sure enough, when I select it, the front feet are not highlighted in the viewport. Also, I can assing a shader to this new Surface in the “Surfaces” tab, but it has no effect.

I take all this to mean that I did something wrong.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

lukon100 said:

A new Surface called “Feet, Front” got created. But it shows a zero in the “Count” column, which I presume means there are actually no faces assigned to it.

Try "Create Surface from Selection", as Felis suggested. Or try assigning the selected polygons to the new surface in the tool settings pane.

edited January 2023

Gordig said:

lukon100 said:

Try "Create Surface from Selection", as Felis suggested. Or try assigning the selected polygons to the new surface in the tool settings pane.

Thanks for your help, Gordig.

Ah, yes. I can see how my procedure I wrote would fail, as it lacks the actual act of assigning the Face Group to the Surface.

But, alas, even making the actual assignment by the methods you suggest does not work.

So it looks more like I have encountered a bug.

---------------

Footnote: Geez. I was just trying to save myself from the extra work of exporting the model to Blender to do the Surface reassignment. But it looks like this Daz bug is gonna force me to do the Blender thing.

Post edited by lukon100 on

After you have created the surface, select the polygons you want to include, and in the Tool Settings Left-click on the surface you want to include them in and select 'assign selected faces'.

felis said:

After you have created the surface, select the polygons you want to include, and in the Tool Settings Left-click on the surface you want to include them in and select 'assign selected faces'.

Ah. Maybe the method I was using to select the polygons was wrong.

I've been selecting the polygons by selecting the Face Group called "Feet, Front" - I mean selecting that Face Group from the list of Face Groups on the list in the Geometry Editor. I just assumed that was a valid way of selecting polygons because, well, doing so did highlight the polygons I wanted to assign to the Surface.

But here you are suggesting that I select the polygons, without saying exactly how to select them. And perhaps it matters how I select them. Maybe, if I try to select them totally within the viewport with the selecting brush gizmo, instead of selecting the Face Group from the list, my assinging the polygons to the Surface I want will actually work.