One vertex in an attachment is not moving when morphed

I've probably not described this well. I'm building a custom attachment and then creating a range of morphs for it. I have found one vertex in the model which declines to perform the morph delta when it is attached.  The morph works fine on the attachment model when it's not attached and I've confirmed the vertex delta details in the saved morph asset file. But when the attachment is attached, this particular vertex will not move.  Frustratingly, when I swap to tools such as the Geometry Editor or the Node Weight Map Brush, the attachment shows up as unattached and the morph works as expected.

The attachment model is broadly symetric so one of my tests morphed just the probelm vertex and its left side equivalent. The left side is working fine, but the right side will not morph.

In case it is relevant, the vertex is not an edge that is attaching, but it is on the opposite side of a polygon which has an attaching edge.

I have tried "unfitting" the attachment and re-doing the "fit to" but same result.

I have saved the scene and exited DS then restarted and reloaded the scene, but same result.

Has anyone got any bright ideas as to what might be happening and how to attempt to fix it?

Cheers, Lx

Comments

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

I'm only taking a wild guess here.

Maybe you are having the same problem I often have with rouge vertices not complying with a rigging motion or a morph.

It might be the same issue if you are using Blender to make your attachment.

I've never tried to make an attachment. I make rigged hard surface models only, so far.

But I have problems getting Blender to assign verticies to the correct vertex groups in a way that Daz Studio will follow, such that I often have the problem of vertices ignoring motions or morphs that are supposed to move them.

Well, I was using Blender 2.79. And maybe the problem is much reduced in later versions. But if my problem seems to you similar enough to yours, feel free to look at my forum post about it.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/567086/blender-to-daz-rigging-problem-spikes#latest

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 282

Thanks, lukon100. I looked at that thread. My first thought regarding your issue is that your problem is the geometry assignment ie which surface is assigned to which rigged bone. I've had not dissimilar issues with some models I've done, but the solution for me has been easy - just use the DAZ geometry editor to alter the suface assignment of wayward surrfaces. It may then also need a "repainting" of the weights in the Node Weight Map Brush, but it has fixed my problem. Another similar situation I've had is when something has gone wrong with the Weight Maps, and, again, playing with the Node Weight Map Brush has fixed my problem.

Your post did prompt me to go look at all my surfaces etc. again and I can see no problem there. The model is working fine, until it is attached, so for me the issue appears to have something to do with the attchment process, not the rigging of the model.

Any other thoughts out there?