DAZ3d customlayout saving issue

william VVwilliam VV Posts: 21

Hello,
I’m currently learning DAZ as a stuck poser user

I used to be able to save/delete custom layouts … now I don’t have that option anymore in the dropdown list under window/workspace … there’s only one option left and that is “select layout’ (where a former saved layout is still available)

I was in DAZ4.15  but in attempt to solve this,  I completely uninstalled DAZ as follows : 

there was no uninstall.exe so I uninstalled DS wit iobit uninstaller pro (deleted all leftover folders as well: in Docs ; C>>DAZ3d.. and in program files, cleaned all invalid regkeys with ccleanerpro,  then did a reboot. .. and installed DS again form DAZcentral…(version 4.21)

after installation was complete, the custom layout from 4.15  was back,(still available in workspace>>select layout  ..(only change on top : V.4.21pro  instead of 4.15 )

the installation progress in DAZcentral also started somewhere at 67% (then I did the complete runinstall once again as described above, and this second time I installed from DAZcentral it started rightaway at 38%

So i assume there must be some cached data somewhere that doesn't get removed by uninstalling/rebooting

any advice and help would be very welcome !  Thank you already !

screenshot ;   https://freeimage.host/i/HuiPvON

Post edited by william VV on

Comments

• Uninstalling/reinstalling is rarely the solution as it won't touch settings. My guess would be that you eeded Windows>Workpace>Update and Merge Menus, though it does sound an odd behaviour. Using a custom uninstaller is certainly likely to cause issues, it has quite possibly not touched the manifests that tell the installer what it had installed (and which enable it to uninstall), so it thinks things are present when they are not.

• thank you Richard,  I see what you mean, but there was no uninstaller in the program files... and as you can seein the screenshot .. window>>workspace>>update and.... is not available anymore
    so how can i do a clean uninstall which deletes everything so I can install from scratch ? 

• You uninstall through the tool you used to install, not through the main Add/remove app (which would drown under all the content packages some of us have).

Unfortunately the image isn't opening for me (and I missed the link earlier).

• william VVwilliam VV Posts: 21
    edited January 2023

I installed through DAZcentral,  I can't seem to find any uninstallation possibility there.  

in startbutton>>all programs>>DAZ3D there is no uninstall either, nore in C>>programfiles>>DAZ.

https://ibb.co/frFm10B
    (Another attempt at uploading the screenshot :)  )

( 'attach a file'.underneath 'leave a comment'  freezes in 'uploading...." allthough it's only a 17kb jpg.

• No, there will not be a separate uninstall option for an isntall through daz Central or Install Manager. You may need to isntall Instal manager - it should inherit the Daz central settings and you will be able to uninstall from the applications installed tab. https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/

• OK Thank you very much Richard !  will try that !

• it's been a while meantime, but I have installed DIM ...   uninstalling DAZ with DIM takes barely a few seconds ... it is in my opinion not possible that over 1GB is uninstalled and deleted at that time ...   
    or should I uninstall everything, including genesis packages etc ... ? 

I've installed through DAZcentral again and  installer starts at 56%  and even 91%  when trying several times to uninstall/install
    installing through DIM fails :  'error, cannot open/acces package' allthough the download goes from 0 to 100%

ust don't know what to do anymore to get a fresh clean installation of DAZ3D

• Daz Central installs a lot of add-ons as well as Daz Studio itself, the DIM uninstallers will go item by item.

•  

I just wxant to remove DAZ completely to do an installation from scratch as if you would install it for the first time on a brand new computer..
    Even uninstall with DIM,  there seem to be always leftovers that influence the new installation ...  Do I have to uninstall everything of content as well ?  

(i uninstalled several times through DIM , the new installation just keeps showing up with my custom layout ... and still nothing else than 'select layout' in the dropdown list - image)

Screenshot-1.jpg
    1065 x 112 - 18K
  • Uninstalling will not remove user-content or settings, by design (this should be true of most software, though some may have an option for a factory reset).

You can clear out the DIM/Daz Central list of installed content by deleting the Manifests files (check the location from DIM's settings) - just be aware that if a file exists already next time it is installed DIM/Daz Central will note that mark it as not to be deleted on uninstalling, so you want to be reinstalling to a new location or make sure the actual files are gone. DIM has an option to reset paths to defaults by right-click menu in Advanced settings.

You can reset the database inside Daz Studio before uninstalling that, or after installing a fresh version - Content Library option menu (the lined/hamburger button in the top corner or right-click the tab)>Content DB Maintenance>Reset DB. You can, I think, reset the content directories to defaults in DS by deleting all of the existing ones in Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager (some, at least, will revert to their default if there are none explicitly set but I haven't tried it in geenral).

• william VVwilliam VV Posts: 21
    edited January 2023

So what i understand,  forgive me if i'm wrong,  there is no way to remove DAZ3D completely from the system ? 

I can uninstall  all cof my content through DIM indeed, ... but is that necessary in order to uninstall the DAZprogram itself completely ?

So that I can do a fresh clean install which gives me DAZ with default factory state settings as it is when it's installed for the first time. (and I hope at least this gives me back window>>workspace>>...)

If content needs to be uninstalled as well(.. just making a loose comparison.with poser : ) that seems not logic to me as it would meanhaving to to delete all poser external runtimes in order

to be able to install poser again ...  

the problem is not with the content,  the problem is my options in the window>>>workspace>>>dropdownlist have all dissapeared. (which only solution to solve this, is that apparantly it needs a clean new install from scratch of DAZ3D to fix it )  If this means all content needs to be uninstalled as well I'm hoping this never happens to anyone with tons of GB's of installed content  :D

• No, the content doesn't need to be unisntalled and the database doesn't need to be cleared for that - but if you wanted a complete clear of everything it would. However, reinstalling should refresh the default layouts, since theya re not user-generated files, as far as I know - if it doesn't it may be an issue with the %appdata%/daz 3d/studio4/ folder or one of its subfolders.

• Another thing to try, depending on what you are missing, is Window>Workspace>Update and Merge Menus.

• ok, thanks, Richard ...  I'll give it a go ...  will let you know the results .