Alternating states on fog+light, particles vs. smooth, where will it end? [Solved]

I made a random scene here, even unfinished (titanic pose ship missing, row-boat with triumphant crabs on it missing, eyes glimpsing over the hill missing, fox with rocket launcher behind tree mising (...).

Actual question, while it is rendering:

There seem to be two alternating states, concerning the candle light, possibly from ghost lights, placed inside the lantern, the iray candly of which appeared to do nothing:

1. Light "particles" are rendered within the fog.

2. Smooth light effect.

(images to reference pending)

Where will the render end?

Edit:

Recap:
- "Light particles" ~ fireflies, bright speckles within fog with light. See below in the conversation. ~ Basics / render settings / filtering.
- Where that particular render ended? Between, i.e. grainy, but less extreme. (Setting nominal luminance to 150 would alter that to smooth.)
- Why was it alternating? ~ IDK yet.
Post edited by generalgameplaying on

Comments

• I'm not at all sure what you mean - is it flipping between noisy and not noisy ("particles" vs smooth)?

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 517
    edited January 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm not at all sure what you mean - is it flipping between noisy and not noisy ("particles" vs smooth)?

Indeed similar to that. But it seems to be confined to the light emitted from a "candle light" within fog. So at one time there will be individual pixels of light recognizable near the lantern, inside of which the light has been placed, alternating with a smooth version, where it really just looks like light emitted withing fog (smooth).

Maybe it's two stages within the rendering process, so it'll always end up with the smooth one, but i am not sure. Render is at 95% right now, i'll let it run through.

(Actually it might have stopped alternating, in favor of the region remaining somewhat grainy for now`, still 95%, so perhaps the question has been answered with "something between", yet the render hasn't finished. )

Only one image of the gallery has been approved yet, "duplicate". It's somewhat subtle, but should be easy to distinguish, once focusing around the lantern.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/user/6495883098062848?edit=album#gallery=album8879461

edited January 2023

Now the second image seems to be gone, after commenting to the moderator on it. I hope this is intermediate randomness, otherwise, let's face it, galleries would be of no use for technical discussion whatsoever.

(It's not even in "not published" anymore...)

Well, at least they posted the picture illustrating the "noisy" state. I might try to render from another perspective, so any thumbnails will be different enough to point at the kind of difference.

Edit: Now the second image appeared again, so i updated both descriptions, in the hope to have clarified the intention.

Edit2: Could try to render at higher (much? also lower?) resolution, for reference.

(In case there is another place to put such image comparison to, other than the gallery, apologies...)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102

Go to Filtering/Nominal Luminance for the Fireflies and lower it, I have mine set at 1500 although raise or lower it as needed. The Luminance setting will remove any bright speckles in the image which it does when fog is used and you loose them when in fact you want to keep them.. It does the same when using the Bloom Filter and you loose some of the bloom on lights.

edited January 2023

Fishtales said:

Go to Filtering/Nominal Luminance for the Fireflies and lower it, I have mine set at 1500 although raise or lower it as needed. The Luminance setting will remove any bright speckles in the image which it does when fog is used and you loose them when in fact you want to keep them.. It does the same when using the Bloom Filter and you loose some of the bloom on lights.

Thank you very much for the hints and the terms!

Technically, it would still be interesting to understand, why it was alternating between those bright speckles and smoothly lighted, up to some point during rendering. Practically, nominal luminance at 150 seems to do the trick, for a quick test. 

It is because as the render progresses the filter kicks in and removes them which makes it look smooth then more appear and it kicks in again to remove them.

edited January 2023

Tried to add pictures saved from the gallery (.webp, due to not having the computer with the screenshots in front of me). Didn't work in any way. Just technically, "attach file" should be my option here, but it doesn't work for images. I understand the gallery is more for showing off actual renders, and the images are "advertised" individually rather. Anyway... 

The Attach Files isn't working properly just now, it is a hit and a miss if it works or not. Try copy and paste of the Gallery image links into your post.