Bug? Loading Casey G9 (scene or preset) with dForce Pitt Bull Hair puts the hair 30cm over his head

The cap is at the correct height, but the hair is another headlength above it.

I tried it as both a scene and a preset. I also just tried it saving/loading a scene with Speakeasy Hair and it did the exact same thing. The cap is in the correct location, the hair is 30cm (rough guess) above the cap.

I just loaded default Casey with no modifications, put the hair on, it fit nicely after selecting Gen 8 Male. Saved, loaded, the hair is way above the cap.

So, can we not save earlier hair on Genisis 9? Is this specific to Casey? Is this a bug? Is there a work around?

Thanks

Comments

• victorvictor Posts: 49

I just tested with Lorienne HD and the dForce Pit Bull Hair and it is doing the exact same thing.

So it isn't specific to Casey or one type of hair. 

Sorry if there is a bug forum somewhere this should go, I didn't see one.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241
    edited January 2023

If you are referring to: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-pitt-bull-hair-for-genesis-3-8-and-81-males, no that's not a bug. It's made for G3,8 and 8.1.

These are some hairs for Genesis 9:

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?mature=true&q=hair+genesis+9

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited January 2023

Catherine3678ab said:

If you are referring to: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-pitt-bull-hair-for-genesis-3-8-and-81-males, no that's not a bug. It's made for G3,8 and 8.1.

My understanding of G9 is that you can use the G8 items like hair. When I load it, it brings up an import window, I choose the correct original format, and it works fine.

It is only when saving then re-loading it in a scene that it doesn't work. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having the proclaimed backwards compatibility. So since it does work when you initially load it, but not when you load a scene, I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

Post edited by victor on
  • dForce seems to have additional problems because of the way it works, it isn't really permanent geometry in the same way as non-strand hair.

• When one 'converts' anything to fit another base figure, that conversion needs to be resaved [with new name to different folders than the original] before saving the scene or scene subset.

• Richard Haseltine said:

dForce seems to have additional problems because of the way it works, it isn't really permanent geometry in the same way as non-strand hair.

Which offers us all the perfect excuse reason to buy more hair!!! heart

Catherine3678ab said:

When one 'converts' anything to fit another base figure, that conversion needs to be resaved [with new name to different folders than the original] before saving the scene or scene subset.

Thank you. How does one save a conversion?

It's the Pitt Bull hair I've been trying to get working properly with G9. I just found out I can manually do it, but it would be nice if the product wasn't screwed up forever.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, but that didn't work. It is still skipping the auto-fit dialog when I add it to a character. I tried it on a different character and it is definately the hair that is scewed up. How do I revert it to its original state?

• Threads mrged since the new is a continuation of the old.

Are you sure you are loading the original hair model? Once an item has been converted via AutoFit it is a native item for the figure and no longer needs AutoFit. If this is a scene file, remove the hair and load a fresh copy from the library; if you have saved the Autofitted version over the original library file then reinstall the product.

• To get anything in a scene back to its original state - either delete it from the scene and load a fresh item, OR close D/S and reopen D/S, load the figures for the scene again.

Richard is the hair saving expert ;-)

For normal clothing, prop items: save as figure/prop. Some hairs can be saved this way too but not the strand hairs.

Richard Haseltine said:

Threads mrged since the new is a continuation of the old.

Are you sure you are loading the original hair model? Once an item has been converted via AutoFit it is a native item for the figure and no longer needs AutoFit. If this is a scene file, remove the hair and load a fresh copy from the library; if you have saved the Autofitted version over the original library file then reinstall the product.

At this point my G8 characters are pulling up the Autofit dialog, and G9's aren't. I checked several, not just the original problem one, and did so on a fresh start, so the other character wouldn't be in memory. The hair is on their face like a rogue Tribble. 

I uninstalled it again and reinstalled, no change. 

Thanks for the help.

Richard Haseltine said:

Threads mrged since the new is a continuation of the old.

Since the hair auto-fit isn't working anymore, is there a way to activate it manually or get manual translation controls over the hair?

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

Autofit hair can be hit or miss. Autofit will also remove custom bones.

What you can do is load the hair unfitted, put it in place on the head, might include a little scaling, and then parent it to the head.

felis said:

Autofit hair can be hit or miss. Autofit will also remove custom bones.

What you can do is load the hair unfitted, put it in place on the head, might include a little scaling, and then parent it to the head.

Thanks, I'll do that!

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561

@victor I was searching for a solution to this issue and came across your post - as has been mentioned by others this appears to be specifically autofitting SBH dforce hair to unsupported figures.

Having digged into it a bit more I think I've found a solution, but I don't know if it will work on all hair of this type - it does work on Saul Hair which is a short afro style.

Hairs built in this way consist of a cap/scalp and the main SBH hair figure, with the cap fitted to the figure (in this case G9) and the SBH hair figure fitted to the cap. Crucially it's this second part that appears to be causing the problem.

For Saul Hair, the following works:

1. Unfit the SBH Hair figure from the cap
    2. Autofit it to G9
    3. Change parent to the cap (parent in place)

It will then fit correctly, even after the scene is reloaded! You have to unfit it from the cap first rather than select the figure immediately, as the autofit dialog won't trigger otherwise.