Dumb Question re DIM

Is there any chance that one can get DIM to read as 'installed' 'all' products from more than one account {on the same computer}?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,848
    edited December 2022

This is theoretical and untested:

If the manifests from the installation of the products are in the manifest folder specified in the DIM settings, I think the products should show up in the Installed tab. It seems like Ready to Install would find everything in the Downloads folder, regardless of account, too. I can successfully find and install 3rd party products that I have created DIM packages for, in Ready to Install. After installation, they show up in the Installed tab, even though they have no association with products in my Daz account. Ready to Download will only see what is available in the Daz account that is logged in at the time, I believe.

Edit: Even if this theory proves to be true, you may want to check the EULA. I don't think users (accounts) are allowed to share products. If both accounts are installing into the same Content Library, or Content Libraries accessible by both users, you may be in violation. If both accounts belong to you, that may be some gray area. I'm not a lawyer.

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

If the manifests from the installation of the products are in the manifest folder specified in the DIM settings, I think the products should show up in the Installed tab. It seems like Ready to Install would find everything in the Downloads folder, regardless of account, too. I can successfully find and install 3rd party products that I have created DIM packages for, in Ready to Install. After installation, they show up in the Installed tab, even though they have no association with products in my Daz account. Ready to Download will only see what is available in the Daz account that is logged in at the time, I believe.

Edit: Even if this theory proves to be true, you may want to check the EULA. I don't think users (accounts) are allowed to share products. If both accounts are installing into the same Content Library, or Content Libraries accessible by both users, you may be in violation. If both accounts belong to you, that may be some gray area. I'm not a lawyer.

Just me and my dog here, no need for panicking over licenses. As to that gray area -- it's not my fault the company can't merge accounts which happened over time and loss of email addresses, etc. etc. And there is "no" way to contact them expect via a Help ticket which one cannot file if one doesn't have an account. And 'round and 'round we go. Anyhow, my main account is the most active one of course, membership and forum use ;-)

Thank you for the information about the manifests -- I will test that later on sometime in the week. Still downloading from the main account. I think I need to stop shopping for awhile ;-)

Very thankful for DIM when setting up a new computer that's for sure, its' a "lot" easier than downloading/installing manually.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

Can you just add the all the accounts to DIM and have all of them install content to the same place?

Seems easier if it works.

• Yes except I would like to be able to see 'all' what is installed regardless of which account is logged in [or if no account is logged in] - so I don't buy something twice ;-)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909

You have an account. The one you're using. Just give them the info from the old account (they will have you do something to verify it was your account I'm sure) and they can transfer over all the purchased products from the other account.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

I use a spreadsheet to record every item purchased, when I purchase it using the order page, as a cross-check. I started to add the order number when the store changed (what, more than two years ago already?) and there were reports of lost products. To get up to speed, you can export the data from DIM, once for each tab (Ready To Download, Ready to Install, Installed) in each account. Merge and sort. That will give you a snapshot of what you've got. Keep it up to date every purchase, it only takes a minute. Keep it handy when shopping.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247
    edited December 2022

frank0314 said:

You have an account. The one you're using. Just give them the info from the old account (they will have you do something to verify it was your account I'm sure) and they can transfer over all the purchased products from the other account.

Oh really?! This is a new thing 'cause they couldn't do this years back. I will look into the matter when I'm finished setting up this new beast :-) 

Thanks.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • barbult said:

Yes :-) "Everything" shows up in the installed tab, thanks :-) 

• NorthOf45 said:

I use a spreadsheet to record every item purchased, when I purchase it using the order page, as a cross-check. I started to add the order number when the store changed (what, more than two years ago already?) and there were reports of lost products. To get up to speed, you can export the data from DIM, once for each tab (Ready To Download, Ready to Install, Installed) in each account. Merge and sort. That will give you a snapshot of what you've got. Keep it up to date every purchase, it only takes a minute. Keep it handy when shopping.

For some reason never took to using spreadsheets. However I have been doing something similar with Notepad, just the names of the products. As I'm reinstalling all products for the new rig, am trying to figure out a better way. Conceivably, I should learn how to use a spreadsheet. 

Yes, years back during a massive store website overhaul, records were lost. So I also have umpteen old fashioned installers which I'm very slowly making my way through. When I came across an old order sheet, I hoped CS would put them into my account, but nope. They couldn't find their copy so yeah, things can get lost. Mind you, over all the company has been doing a great job at keeping products available for download over the years so not complaining.

Any chance anybody knows of a script that can run a billion old fashioned D/S installers into folders bearing the same name?