Volta hair a big fluffy mess on G9. Drapes nicely on G8's. Why?

victorvictor Posts: 49

[Volta hair is] It's working fine on G8's, and my understanding is that hairs of the past should function on G9. Is there something I need to do to get this to work? Or is it just messed up?

Sorry, there's an image attached but it isn't finishing uploading, here it is:

Thanks

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Post edited by victor on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,190

Maybe elaborate on 'won't work'.

In the picture I can see that the hair cap is fitted to the character, and the hair strands seems to point in the right direction.

• victorvictor Posts: 49

felis said:

Maybe elaborate on 'won't work'.

In the picture I can see that the hair cap is fitted to the character, and the hair strands seems to point in the right direction.

They stay like that flying outward to the back.

When I put it on a G8, they immidiately drape nicely and look good.

• victor said:

[Volta hair is] It's working fine on G8's, and my understanding is that hairs of the past should function on G9. Is there something I need to do to get this to work? Or is it just messed up?

Sorry, there's an image attached but it isn't finishing uploading, here it is:

Thanks

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Re: my understanding is that hairs of the past should function on G9

Don't know where you heard that. People have been saying the opposite. Now, if you have updated the Genesis 9 Starter Bundle - I did notice a couple of additional projection templates for hair. So when telling the program the hair was meant for G8/3/2/1 - try using one of those templates. It might work better. It might not work well with all hairs. I haven't tested these however they were made by a Pro. 

Are you simulating the hair?

It stays that way pre and post simulation.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

I think it's hit or miss with the hair, just like dresses from G8 to G9. Shoes were a no go the last time I tried.

Sounds like autofit is messing something up.

For hair, instead of autofit, you can scale it to adjust, and then just parent it to the head.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,031

I have Volta Hair for G8 and G8.1 and tried it on Nikolai 9. First I used the autofit option and yes, autofit killed all posing and simulation. So I deleted that one, then merged the hair and moved it up onto the head and parented it to Nikolai and picked a pose for the hair and it draped nicely, but when I moved the character into his pose for simulation, the hair stayed where it had been. So I spent about 5 - 10 minutes moving it to fit on him, then I picked the single frame simulation option and it worked. There may be more steps I have missed and others could add them in?

I will try to attach a snip of the result, but I have already had a failure attaching a render today.

No joy. But the hair looks fine on Nikolai 9.

Mary

Thank you everyone.

I hadn't thought that there were work arounds to get hair on a character, that will help me with other problems as well.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404

Well, I tried all my Dfroce hair products, and it seems to strip away the Dfroce settings. Maybe the morphs also.

Not really sure what is going on.

I tried a couple of dForce hair.

One autofitted fine, and it simulated, but has low settings so not really good to evaluate.

One mistfitted with the hair in front of the face, but dimulated fine.

The last autofitted fine and simulated fine too (imagine image attached, if forum worked...)

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,031
    edited January 2023

I was able to post an image just now on the Commons, so I thought I would try to post the snip again now. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 7.33.36 AM.png
    223 x 217 - 67K
    Post edited by memcneil70 on