Trying to Create Custom Hand Poses and Partial Poses

Hi All,

I am trying to save a pose that I have created for just the right hand of my GM9 figure.
With the character selected, I select the plus in the Content tab to find "Pose" to save a new pose preset. In
the dialogue box that opens I just "check" the
right hand and deselect all the other body parts and save. This is not working. 
Am I missing a step? Please advise.

Thanks,

Eric

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 2022

Method 1:

With the figure selected you need to go to "File > Save As... >  Pose Preset..."

This will bring up a dialog box where you will need to check ONLY the items that need saving.  In this case, the X Y Z rotation values for the right and and all its chld bones.  And JUST the rotation values.  Easiest way would be to use the menu in the upper right and choose uncheck all, then expand the figure tress to the right hand and check the rotation values,

Method 2:

Using the Save Templates here - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/file_io/savefilter_template_save/start - YOu can set up a template of what you want saved, and then use the other template to save each hand pose when its ready with out having to go through the whole routine listed above.  Please note - it will save the pose to whatever folder you have selected in your library.  

Method 3:

Save out the whole pose, recommend you use the option in the dialog box to select rotations only.  Then use this - https://www.daz3d.com/preset-cleaner-for-daz-studio-37019 - to clean out the body parts you dont need.  You can do one file at a time or batch process as many as you like at once.  Its extremely fast.  However, it will not work with Hierarchical poses or mat presets.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,848

Method 2 looks intriguing, but I don't understand it well enough. Do I have to edit the sample script to specify what I want "checked" in the pose preset save dialog? When is the script run - when the pose preset save dialog is open?

(P.S. Thanks for the Christmas Freebie!)

• Hi Mattymanx,

I did Method 1 and it worked for a split second. My pose worked and then it quickly snapped back into
    it's original form like it was a glitch. Could this be a glitch? Should something else be checked in addition to the rotations?

In the meantime, I am going to check your other methods, while I wait to hear from you.

Thanks!

• Hi Barbult,

Does Method 1 work for you?

• When I have created partial poses, I have used method 1. I have now bookmarked the link for method 2 in order to investigate further as it seems to be worth looking at. Thanks Mattymanx. Regards, Richard.
  • Hi Richard,

I have always used Method 1, but since I have changed to my new Macbook it seems that some little things just aren't working.
    Are you using a Mac by any chance?

• I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! YEEPEE!

Okay, don't judge me. laugh
    I should have specified that I was using a Genesis 9 model. The bone hierarchy is set up differently, so to create a partial pose for the right
    hand, you must select SPINE4 and from there find the right collar and then down to the right hand. I was just selecting the ARM option
    at the bottom of that hierarchy list. THANK YOU, EVERYONE. That was my bad!

Eric

ericwestray said:

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! YEEPEE!

Okay, don't judge me. laugh
    I should have specified that I was using a Genesis 9 model. The bone hierarchy is set up differently, so to create a partial pose for the right
    hand, you must select SPINE4 and from there find the right collar and then down to the right hand. I was just selecting the ARM option
    at the bottom of that hierarchy list. THANK YOU, EVERYONE. That was my bad!

Eric

Glad you were able to get it to work.  I did get your DM but i didn't get a notification about it. 

edited December 2022

barbult said:

Method 2 looks intriguing, but I don't understand it well enough. Do I have to edit the sample script to specify what I want "checked" in the pose preset save dialog? When is the script run - when the pose preset save dialog is open?

You're welcome Barbult

There should be 3 scripts there:

SaveFilter_Template_Apply

SaveFilter_Template_Batch

SaveFilter_Template_Save

Thats what I have them named as.  The Save script will save a new template.  The Apply script will apply a saved template to the selected item.  And Batch, will batch.

Please note, pose preset templates designed for a specific figure will not work for newer or older generations but if you make a template on G3F and manually duplicate it, you can rename a few things inside and out to make it work for G3M.

The templates are extremely handy when saving Hierarchical poses and mat presets.

Mattymanx said:

barbult said:

You're welcome Barbult

SaveFilter_Template_Save

Thats what I have them named as.  The Save script will save a new template.  The Apply script will apply a saved template to the selected item.  And Batch, will batch.

Please note, pose preset templates designed for a specific figure will not work for newer or older generations but if you make a template on G3F and manually duplicate it, you can rename a few things inside and out to make it work for G3M.

The templates are extremely handy when saving Hierarchical poses and mat presets.

I think maybe I get it now. Is this right? (I haven't actually tried it yet.)

1. I begin to save a pose preset and check and uncheck things as appropriate for my pose.
    2. I run the SaveFilter_Template_Save script from the sample scripts you linked.
    3. I finish saving the pose preset.
    4. Next time I want to save a similar preset on the same character generation, I begin to save a pose preset and instead of checking and unchecking things, I run SaveFilter_Template_Apply (I assume it must ask me what saved filter I want to use).
    5. The script checks and unchecks things for me according to the saved template.
    6. I finish saving the pose preset.
    edited January 2023

barbult said:

Mattymanx said:

You're welcome Barbult

SaveFilter_Template_Save

1. I begin to save a pose preset and check and uncheck things as appropriate for my pose.
    2. I run the SaveFilter_Template_Save script from the sample scripts you linked.
    4. Next time I want to save a similar preset on the same character generation, I begin to save a pose preset and instead of checking and unchecking things, I run SaveFilter_Template_Apply (I assume it must ask me what saved filter I want to use).
    5. The script checks and unchecks things for me according to the saved template.

Run the Save script and select what you need it to save and give it a name.

Pose figure

Use the Apply srcipt and choose the preset you just created.  Give the pose a name.

Done. 

Mattymanx said:

barbult said:

Mattymanx said:

You're welcome Barbult

SaveFilter_Template_Save

Run the Save script and select what you need it to save and give it a name.

Pose figure

Use the Apply srcipt and choose the preset you just created.  Give the pose a name.

Done. 

OK, so I still had it all wrong! Thanks for your continued explanation. I'm traveling, so I can't actually try any of this for another week.