How to create seamless tattoos across body parts

Wondering how people do this. I want to create tattoos that span across the torso and arms and even the torso to legs seamlessly. So, for instance, I want a tattoo that is high on the shoulder and spans down the arm. 

Is there a program to do this? If so, what program will do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CHEERS!

Comments

• Pickle RendererPickle Renderer Posts: 236
    edited December 2022

You probably want something like Substance Painter.  I think Blender has a Texture Paint Mode too, though I've never tried it.

Post edited by Pickle Renderer on
  • Any program that will paint on the object and provide some paint to the buffer zone.

There's 3DCoatTextura which is stripped from the 3DCoat product. [i.e. don't buy both programs as the painting features are available in 3DCoat]

If using an image editor, you really need to use the templates carefully to match the textures at the seams.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

Genesis UVs are multiple. So you need 3D painting apps that are compatible with UDIM UVs, aka UV Tiles. This way you'll be able to paint or project textures seamlessly from one UV Island (let's say torso) to another (let's say arm). Those apps enable you to paint continuous strokes between UV Islands and make the painting bleed (padding) around UV Islands to avoid seam issues.

I personnaly use Substance Painter for everything related to 3D painting/baking. But as Pickle Renderer and Catherine3678ab said, 3D-Coat could do that too (extremely good app, but most abandon it because it's so unstable and messy...), Blender. Quixel, etc.

Substance Painter is the most widely used, easy to find tutorials if you've never used that outstanding app.

Personal advice : create a geoshell, extract face sets in Blender, etc. No matter the method, but paint on something else than the Genesis (something similar to Daz geoshell). This way you'll be able to create tattoos or whatever, with displacement, normal maps, metallic effects, etc. without affecting Genesis textures. When done, import that "shell" in Daz and fit it like you'd do for any cloth.

One of, if not the first video made on the subject : (Start at  5:32). Still relevant today.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • tdctdc Posts: 130

Thanks, everyone! I'll give Substance a try.

• Substance Painter can be purchased on Steam so you'd get a perpetual license. I also highly recommend the program but in addition... if you want to get the full deal out of this I'd also suggest looking into Substance Designer as well. Seriously: if you do then your days of ever buying into any material preset pack will be far behind you.

Painter excells at texturing meshes, as has been mentioned above. If you check Steam's guide section for the Substance Painter 2022 hub you'll even find a guide I made which explains how you can use it to texture Genesis figures.

Designer then is awesome for actually, well, designing material presets, textures and 3D primitives alike. Not to mention allowing you to further customize material presets which are available in Painter. For example... Painter has a material preset called "Human belly skin", guess what that is? ;)   It's actually pretty good in itself but lacks imperfections. You know, real skin can have birthmarks and such but this one is picture perfect smooth.

Easily remedied with Designer: you just load the texture preset and then use its channel outputs and apply changes to that before sending it out of the graph you're working on. 

I discovered Painter & Designer on Steam this year, grabbed both, and I am honestly not exaggerating when I say that it had a huge impact on my 3D work. Creating paint strokes for ZBrush? I use Designer. Creating textures for Daz Studio clothing material? Designer...  actually texturing said clothing props? Painter...

Sorry for a small vent but...  yah, I am honestly still that excited about those two; been using 'm for shortly over 6 months now and it's just amazing software.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

Designer is something very different from painter. A 2D artist, 3D modeler can "easily" use Painter. It's still art.

But designer is based on node hierarchies and I never could wrap my head around making complex procedural textures with Designer. It's a totally different world.

It's a bit like saying to a 3D character or assets modeler that he should go for Blender's geometry nodes.

Painter you need an artistic brain. Designer (or geometry nodes) you need a coder's brain.

One and the other are used (often) by very different kinds of people.

Winning Adobe combo (in my opinion) for artists is Substance 3D Painter + Substance 3D Sampler.

Post edited by hansolocambo on