Skins suddenly rendering very dark

I have suddenly run into a problem that I can't figure out why it started or how to fix it. The traslucency weight value on all but a few of my Genesis 3 female skins have suddenly been showing up as 0.65 causing them to render with a black skin tone instead of white or slightly tan as they rendered in the recent past. I haven't installed any new character skins rencently and other than going in and manually going in and changing the value which is annoying because I never know which skin will be affected by this issue. 

Any suggestions for correcting this issue would be greatly appeciated. 

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,189

So you are saying some of your G3Fs render fine, but some G3Fs render dark.

You mention high translucency - does that mean they will render as expected if you lower translucency?

Have you tried to reinstall one of the troublesome characters?

Can you gives examples of which characters there are the problem so others can test if they are ok for them.

And which version of Daz Studio are you using - there could be differences depending on which Iray version.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,191
    edited December 2022

Thanks for replying, to answer your questions, I am using 4.15 and yes, it seems to be affecting most of my characters. I can lower the translucency and they will render with a lighter tone but render with a greyer looking skin tather than a natureal pink. The Translucency weight is showing up at 0.65 

One of the figures that is affected is Fred Winklers Paloma https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-paloma-hd-for-victoria-7

One of the figures I have found that isn't affected is Jessaii's Midori https://www.daz3d.com/midori-for-aiko-7

I am currently at work, but when I get home I can take some screenshots to show what I am experiencing 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

I do not have either of the listed characters, so I can't render and see how they look for me.

But I looked through a bunch of G3F, and they seem to mosyly have a translucency of 0.5 with some at 0.65.

I don't think the translucency value is the culprit.

And you are using an older version of DS, so unless you recently have uphraded to 4.15 that seems also unlikely.

Let's see when you have posted some images.

And maybe somebody else have either character and see what it looks like for them.

Here is a test shot of both characters and what they are currently looking like for me. Character 1 normally renders at a lighter tan than character 2. I am also attaching a screen shor of the surface tab for both characters. I am using only the base studio lighting and loaded them straight from the character tab in my library and only added clothing to conform to the TOS.

Test 1.png
    800 x 657 - 298K
    Surface tab.png
    800 x 800 - 405K

OK, I have been tinkering with this and it seems that this is going much deeper than just a few characters. Several characters that should render very pale are showing up as pool side tanned or darker. Is there a restore option or some way to see if something is altering the render settings?

If it is a genral render issue, then it would potentially also affect other things.

But if you open the render settings tab, then there is a 'default' button at the top.

felis said:

If it is a genral render issue, then it would potentially also affect other things.

But if you open the render settings tab, then there is a 'default' button at the top.

I actually did that first thinking I had changed a setting without realizing it. Not sure if this helps but if I go frm skin to skin that isn't affected everything looks fine, but when I load a skin that is affected by this, ever skin I load after that the translucency setting is affected until I delete the character and load a new one. This is the first issue I have had using 4.15 and I am really hoping that someone can help me with tis issue.

Do you think that uninstalling and then reinstalling would help fix this issue?

shadowhawk1 said:

Do you think that uninstalling and then reinstalling would help fix this issue?

Honestly - no idea. I have never heard of such an issue. Maybe Richard has.

But reinstalling is a fairly simple step, so why not try that.

You could else try to download the Beta and see if the skin behaves similar there. 

• Sorry, as far as I can recall this is a new thing and I haven't seen any other reports.

I will do a complete uninstall and scrub to clear any lingering bits of stiduo that stay behind and then do a new fresh install to see if that fixes the issue. 

• shadowhawk1 said:

Here is a test shot of both characters and what they are currently looking like for me. Character 1 normally renders at a lighter tan than character 2. I am also attaching a screen shor of the surface tab for both characters. I am using only the base studio lighting and loaded them straight from the character tab in my library and only added clothing to conform to the TOS.

From the looks of it, but I could be wrong, the skin on #1 appears to be a little bit darker on the thumbnail image for Base Color vs the one for #2. Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect this minor noticeable difference to yield such a stark contrast. Make sure you check your gamma settings, thin walled settings, render settings, etc., for those scenes.

Hey all,

Sorry it took so long to get back with a reply. The issue has been resolved and all it took was a complete removal including going into the user appdata and registry editor followed by a complete scrubbing with CCCleaner to remove all traces of studio from my laptop before doing a clean install of studio 4.15. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas and here's hoping that it doesn't come back.

• shadowhawk1 said:

Hey all,

Sorry it took so long to get back with a reply. The issue has been resolved and all it took was a complete removal including going into the user appdata and registry editor followed by a complete scrubbing with CCCleaner to remove all traces of studio from my laptop before doing a clean install of studio 4.15. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas and here's hoping that it doesn't come back.

I had the same problem 5 minutes ago. I just deleted the "DAZ 3D" folder from c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming

WARNING
    Remember your custom options (hotkeys and other preferences) because this method will erase them all.

I don't know why this bug occurs, however it's annoying. It happened to me immediatelly after I installed a few clothes. (daz original)
    I hope it'll never happen again. Have a nice day!

• VolvoB10MVolvoB10M Posts: 123

I had the same problem but after reinstalling Daz3d I am now locked out of everything in the content library and on loading a previous scene I found the tone is still ridiculously dark, How am I supposed to set it to the same as it was in the store images?