Saving morph for Magnolia Hair?

DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388

Hi, I'm trying to make an upside down morph for this hair https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-sweet-magnolia-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-female

Unlike other dforce hairs I have, this loads a 'cap' fitted to the figure, and the hair is fitted to the cap.

The loaded resolution is always base. I simulate the hair upside down, and I try to export it as OBJ, but when I attempt to load it with MorphLoaderPro, it always says that the mesh does not match.

Can I make morphs with this hair? Do I need to unfit the hair from the cap? Or do I need to save both the cap and hair as one file? I'm stuck because I haven't encountered this kind of dforce hair before and I'm not sure what components to save or how to do it.

Typically I can export the hair just fine and have myself the morph, but this case just won't work so far. Any help appreciated, thank you.

Post edited by DefaultName on

Comments

• Funny, I had this exact problem a few hours ago.  My solution was to export the thing as .obj, then load it back in as .obj and not bother with the morph.  Parent to the head.  I don't know if there's an "official" way of doing it on hair with guides rather than polygon strips.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

I have never tried to export dForce hair (using the dForce hair engine) but I tried now.

My assumption is that one should only export the hair, and not the cap, in order to make a morph.

But after I got the same error, geometry didn't match, I took the exported hair into blender to look at it. And the exported obj does not look like the hair object I try to export, and neither does it match with the vertex count. The exported hair had much fewer vertexes - and still looked different from the original.

I tried to change Lime tesselation. With a line tesselation of 3 the exported hair looked like the original, but then it was 6 mio vertexes.

So essentially I couldn't find a setting that seemed appropriate for making a morph.

• Pickle Renderer said:

Funny, I had this exact problem a few hours ago.  My solution was to export the thing as .obj, then load it back in as .obj and not bother with the morph.  Parent to the head.  I don't know if there's an "official" way of doing it on hair with guides rather than polygon strips.

I would but the reason I want the morph is to re-simulate the hair from th position, starting upside down in this case. 

• felis said:

I have never tried to export dForce hair (using the dForce hair engine) but I tried now.

My assumption is that one should only export the hair, and not the cap, in order to make a morph.

But after I got the same error, geometry didn't match, I took the exported hair into blender to look at it. And the exported obj does not look like the hair object I try to export, and neither does it match with the vertex count. The exported hair had much fewer vertexes - and still looked different from the original.

I tried to change Lime tesselation. With a line tesselation of 3 the exported hair looked like the original, but then it was 6 mio vertexes.

So essentially I couldn't find a setting that seemed appropriate for making a morph.

Thanks for testing that. So it seems that this hair might not be morphable. That's frustrating.