Lighting for Dungeon Cells

I don't understand the lighting in this set: https://www.daz3d.com/castle-gravestone-the-dungeon-cells_The Management

When you look at the torches, they have a blank square on the opacity which seems to eliminate them as light sources. How should they work?

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

Not sure if this came out when ghost lights were still a thing? So I believe that you are correct in that these now do not work as lights anymore after nVidia changed the functionality (or fixed the bug that these relied on depending on your point of view). This will be why the environment loads much darker than the promo shows as it's now only lit by the CGD_TourchFlame emissive surface which isn't enough to light the room alone.

I haven't looked into the threads about this that much so not sure what options there are now for resolving/replacing the lights.

• The square has white areas, which are the flames, and there is a similar map (but coloured) for the emission colour. In Iray you could add a point light to the scene for each torch, align it with the flame, and then give it a spherical shape with dimensions that enclose the flame (and a suitable colour) to provide additional light. I donm'tt hink these lights will be strongly affected by the chnage to emissive surfaces and opacity since their colour map is blanking the areas thatw ould eb transparent anyway.