General FBX export problems

GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

I'm trying to export a figure with ArcTek Cybernetic Arms, but whether I export FBX or use the Daz to C4D bridge, the character comes in with no geometry for the main figure (which also means no morphs), but it works just fine without the arm. I haven't had the same problem with other geografts, so I don't know what could be causing the problem. First off, does anybody else experience the same thing? I've got the whole suite of ArcTek/ArcWar, but so far have only tested the left and right female full arms, and they both exhibit the same problem. Second, what, if anything, can be done about it?

Post edited by Gordig on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

The problem seems to occur with all items in the ArcTek series, so I tried a different product (Aguja mertail) and the figure mesh imported no problem, so it does seem to be specific to these products.

It occurred to me that the problem might be that I'm trying to use G8 geografts on G8.1, so I loaded a G8M into a blank scene, added one of the arms, and exported. That worked fine. I then loaded a G8.1M into a blank scene, added the same arm, and exported. That ALSO worked fine. So this problem is not only specific to these products, but specific to the female version of them.

Tried on a base G8F and G8.1F, and they both worked, so I tried the character I was originally trying to export, and that now works too, inexplicably. I guess I'll never know why it wasn't working originally.

It's become apparent to me that there's more going on than specific geografts not working. I've experienced the same problem exporting characters with gens, and now even a stand-alone drone imports to C4D with no mesh. I've tried importing a couple of these into Blender just to see, and there is mesh, but it's extremely messed up, so there's something wrong with the way my installations of DS are exporting FBX.

I've been generating background characters to export to Houdini for crowd simulations, and a couple of the female characters got screwed up because the footwear I chose use geografts to hide some or all of the feet. Can anyone help identify and solve what's wrong with FBX export?

• FBX does not support GeoGrafting, so I don't think it could simply be fixed. You might need to hide the mesh in the target application.

I solved the most recent problem by changing the footwear. It's odd that you'd say FBX doesn't support geografts, because I've definitely exported characters with geografts in the past, and it still periodically works now.