Hard light edges on skin/geometry - G9 (Solved)

linkinbnulinkinbnu Posts: 18

Instead of trying to explain I'll just post a screenshot to show what I've been encountering, never seen this before G9, and nothing changed in my usual lighting setup from G8.1 to G9. I've had a worse occurrence than the one on the screenshot but unfortunately i didn't saved.

Vic9 textures with a different skin texture, Render SubD 3.

thigh.png
587 x 456 - 437K
Post edited by linkinbnu on

Comments

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

Vic9 textures with a different skin texture

Maybe start by stating what "different" skin texture you are using. This is the only thing that seems important and yet you don't specify it.

P.S : I personally don't understand what "Vic9 textures with a different skin texture" means.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • linkinbnulinkinbnu Posts: 18
    edited December 2022

hansolocambo said:

Vic9 textures with a different skin texture

Maybe start by precising what different skin texture you're using. It's the only thing that sounds important to understand the problem.

P.S : I personally don't understand what "Vic9 textures with a different skin texture" means.

I'am sorry, i realized now that i worded it pretty badly, english isn't my main language.

It's Vic9 maps (normals, etc) and changed the base/diffuse textures to another one from another model.

The only changes to the main Vic9 maps settings i did was: Translucency = 0.90, Transmitted Color = .95, .45, .55, Transmitted Distance = 0.15 and SSS Direction = 0. I did try to revert it back to stock settings to see if it helps but it didn't.

Thanks.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Does it show with the default Vic9 textures?

• It's a well known problem that occurs when the mesh resolution is low or the bump or normal maps too high.

If it happens at SubD 3, try to reduce the value of bump or normal map.

• Here is an example with G8.1 and Victoria 8.1 HD material.

Left :

Body : default values, Normal map 1.0 and Detail enable ON

Panty : Bump map 1.0

Right :

Body : Normal map 0.3 and Detail enable OFF

Panty : Bump map 0.3

test1.jpg
    1578 x 640 - 263K
  • linkinbnulinkinbnu Posts: 18
    edited December 2022

felis said:

Does it show with the default Vic9 textures?

It does, first thing i tried and still happened.

Tammuz43 said:

It's a well known problem that occurs when the mesh resolution is low or the bump or normal maps too high.

If it happens at SubD 3, try to reduce the value of bump or normal map.

Yep, that's accurate, did some tests (attached) and it's the detail maps that are the problem, it also makes sense I never seen this before g9 since I tend to use normals and bumps very softly.

I'am a bit confused on what to use, but i'll go with what looks the best.

Edit: Ended up using detail = .25 and normals 1.

Thanks for the help!

tests.jpg
    1200 x 300 - 330K