Smoothing modifier in animations

I have a problem. When rendering a animation the smoothing modifier on clothing doesn't apply in between frames. So only the first frame that i'm currently on when starting the rendering has the smoothing modifier applied. When it switches to the next frame the smoothing modifier is not (or not properly) applied. First going to that frame, allowing the smoothing modifier to apply before rendering, and then rendering it applies it properly again. But the next frame will once again not apply it properly.

Turning on interactive update has no effect.
Making a morph out of the smoothing modifier is not a option, there is a new morph ever frame using animorph.

Any ideas on how to get the smoothing modifier to apply properly between rendering frames?

Comments

• it's always applied every frame for me, do you have something like the geometry editor selected by some chance?

• robograaf2robograaf2 Posts: 40
    edited December 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

it's always applied every frame for me, do you have something like the geometry editor selected by some chance?

I've got the Universal Tool selected. Also just updated to the last version to avoid any problems originating there.

I've added a image below to visualize the problem. These are both (small parts) of a render of frame 96. With the left one, I was on frame 95 in the timeline before starting the render (image series render from frame 96-150). With the right one I was on frame 96 in the timeline before starting the rendering. Only rendered till 100 iterations or so for speeds sake, but you can very clearly see the pokethrough on the left image, on the right image it works just fine.

pokethrough.jpg
    1456 x 923 - 418K
    Post edited by robograaf2 on
  • Sounds like the the modifier's Interactive Mode is mis set. I can never remember if it's supposed to be on or off to "serialize" things.

• So I messed around with it. A lot. If anyone ever find this thread: I have found no absolute "one solution fixes all", but there are things you can do.

Turning interactive update on or off makes no difference.

The biggest improvement that can be made is changing the "Smoothing Type" in the smoothing modifier to "Generic" rather than "Base Shape Matching". This will fix 90% of the issues with it. Next to that, solve it in the usual way: make sure the subd on the character is the same in preview as in render, play with the iterations, and add a push modifier if needed.

Keep in mind this was with clothing simulated in Marvelous Designer in a animation. I eventually ended up with 8 or so frames out of the 150 that still required some post work to fix some pokethrough.