Help with Desktop Computer Specs Please [thank you all, purchase made]

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247

I could use a little help for Desktop Computer Specs, tia.

Thing is, I know I can go and ask for the biggest numbers of everything but the fellas putting together the computers tend to not want to believe D/S could require so much. But it does. However I don't know all the limits of every card. They have told me that the mega beast I was planning on, would only last a few years and for the money, that's not happening.

My interim laptop is doing pretty good with the RTX 3060 however it heats up way too hot and the VRAM is only 6. I have to go to a desktop to get more.

Not to overly confuse myself, figured staying with the same basic setup would be best. Laptop has NIVIDA GeForce RTX 3060 with an i-7-11800H Processor.

So the graphics card I'm aiming for is NIVIDA GeForce RTX 3060.
With that card, how much RAM, VRAM, W11 Home or Pro, power supply, processor, etc. and anything else I should know before placing my order?

This is a hobby, not a business. TIA

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

I use this website when I'm building my desktops.

https://pcpartpicker.com

Click "Builder" at the top left to get started.

Add the parts you want, and the builder estimates the power requirements on the right side in a blue box.

Nice thing about this one is the parts list you pick from has prices from several sources.

It has many more options that what I could cover here.

One of the best is it makes a link you can share for others to see your build and help out.

• Okay, that site did not help but thanks for trying.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

I would say 64GB's of RAM, 12GB's of VRAM, 750W PSU with W10/W11 PRO version

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247
    edited December 2022

PerttiA said:

I would say 64GB's of RAM, 12GB's of VRAM, 750W PSU with W10/W11 PRO version

Thank you :-) Have now added this information to my notes.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,909
    edited December 2022

Agree with PerttiA on the info provided. Rule of thumb is you need 3 times the amount of RAM than VRAM, so with a 12 GB card you would want at minimum 36 GB of RAM. Things to also consider: What size case are you looking at? Try to make sure there is plenty of room for air circulation. Depending on your space/desk setup you may consider getting a Full case if you can. It's full size/big so you need a bit of room for it but you will get fantastic airflow. It's about 1/3 bigger than a Mid tower. Consider liquid cooling. It is fairly inexpensive and it will keep the processor within limits regardless of the load applied to it depending on the cooler you select. Be sure to get a good fan setup for keeping the GPU cool and make sure there is plenty of room around it

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • frank0314 said:

Agree with PerttiA on the info provided. Rule of thumb is you need 3 times the amount of RAM than VRAM, so with a 12 GB card you would want at minimum 36 GB of RAM. Things to also consider: What size case are you looking at? Try to make sure there is plenty of room for air circulation. Depending on your space/desk setup you may consider getting a Full case if you can. It's full size/big so you need a bit of room for it but you will get fantastic airflow. It's about 1/3 bigger than a Mid tower. Consider liquid cooling. It is fairly inexpensive and it will keep the processor within limits regardless of the load applied to it depending on the cooler you select. Be sure to get a good fan setup for keeping the GPU cool and make sure there is plenty of room around it

Thank you very much :-) 

Yes I'm planning for a proper Full Case ... with all the fans it can hold ;-) Lots of desk space {actually it's what's called a home made table, good wood and very strong steel legs purchased from Home Depot. Initally when I was thinking of aiming for the monster rig, wanted to be very sure the table would be very secure. Could probably use it as an earthquake shelter lol ... }.

I also have already the UPS.

• How's this?

It includes the new i7 from Intel which would be the 13700k, with 64gbs of RAM a 3060 which has 12gb of VRAM.  The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX ddr4. It has 9 USB type-a and 1 USB type-c. The SSD is a 990 pro from Samsung, it is a 1tb drive with some of the fastest read and write speeds current available. I have paired it with a 8tb HDD from Seagate. I have also include the M-AUDIO BX3 3.5 speakers, they are studio speakers and come with a RCA to 3.5mm cable. The monitor is the M27Q from Gigabyte, it has a built in KVM switch so you can plug the mouse and keyboard into it instead of the tower. The resolution of the monitor is 2560x1440p with a pixel density of 108 ppi; allowing for a crisp picture. 

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872
    edited December 2022

Hi,
    Would suggest researching each part. Unles done already?  But downside as you likely know can take alot of time. But worth it IMO for less surprises later.  

quick feedback on this and that:
    - Giga Aorus mobo with dual-boot bios (can't believe that's not industry std)  tends to be very good. That said don't know that board.  But it is Aorus which is top tier.
    - Giga monitor. 27" is nice size.  You could measure out ahead of time to make sure?  27" is from corner to corner. Would def suggest read reviews on that. And ask your supplier on their 'zero-pixel' policy, or whatvers it was called.
    - Is nice 3060 has 12GB vram.  But if you plan on more complex scenes and not have to re-res this and that, you may want to consider more for future-proofing. If not a plan, then disregard.
    - the Hardrrives and CPU - all within current good stuff.  More comments just adds windy-ness to your decision.
    - see no mention of PSU?  Or cooling (air vs water)?  or speed of pc ram - basespeed  vs bios XMP activated profile
    - big thing is how long do you want this to last vs upgradeable?  Wasn't easy for me to decide and probably many others.

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
  • Boxing day sales going nicely, got the 64G upped to 128G :-)

If all goes well on Boxing Day or some day shortly thereafter I'll have my new shiny to play with :-)

And in the recent sales have acquired some great products sold at Daz3D to help with putting morphs into clothing so, then my hopes are to get some pretty nifty morphed clothing out in the wilds.

Hope everybody is getting what they want for Christmas too, Cheers :-)

• Sounds like you got it all sorted and underway.  Awesome!  Enjoy your new Shiniesmiley

• Saxa -- SD said:

Hi,
    Would suggest researching each part. Unles done already?  But downside as you likely know can take alot of time. But worth it IMO for less surprises later.  

quick feedback on this and that:
    - Giga Aorus mobo with dual-boot bios (can't believe that's not industry std)  tends to be very good. That said don't know that board.  But it is Aorus which is top tier.
    - Giga monitor. 27" is nice size.  You could measure out ahead of time to make sure?  27" is from corner to corner. Would def suggest read reviews on that. And ask your supplier on their 'zero-pixel' policy, or whatvers it was called.
    - Is nice 3060 has 12GB vram.  But if you plan on more complex scenes and not have to re-res this and that, you may want to consider more for future-proofing. If not a plan, then disregard.
    - the Hardrrives and CPU - all within current good stuff.  More comments just adds windy-ness to your decision.
    - see no mention of PSU?  Or cooling (air vs water)?  or speed of pc ram - basespeed  vs bios XMP activated profile
    - big thing is how long do you want this to last vs upgradeable?  Wasn't easy for me to decide and probably many others.

Thank you for replying. I'll be seeing the monitor 'in person' on Boxing Day - it's supposed to be nice 'n super sharp imagery for my half-blind eyes to see. Also is supposed to have good colour accuracy which is nice, esp. for printing. Like the colours to be printed as I think they will be.

Had a chat with their boss and got the 64GB part upped to 128GB - and while that brought the price up, other items have gone on sale and those came down, so working within my comfort zone price wise.

Power source: GIGABYTE GP-UD750GM 750 W ATX 12V v2.31 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I'm going with fans, lots of fans. And this item is on the price quote page: Deepcool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler.

• Saxa -- SD said:

Sounds like you got it all sorted and underway.  Awesome!  Enjoy your new Shiniesmiley

Yes 'more or less' ... still time to change things esp. if anything is a glaring error for example. No money down on it yet. That's done on Boxing Day [if all goes well, today is freezing rain etc., not a good day to be out and about].

• Haha, cool you will see your monitor soon.  Make sure to check no dead pixels before they give to you.
    27" is so nice if you still want to see past it a lil bit and enjoy other scenery.  32" blots out alot. Or does for me.

Happy to see PSU is Gold.  
    Just one suggestion here, but you may want to consider a quote for Platinum, and/or go a bit higher for PSU like 1000w for upgradeability.  At the least, just so it's ticked off as an explored option?
    PSU is kinda hidden, and not sexy like GPU/CPU, but it's key to everthing work well long-term.  
    And PSU output has been known to deteriorate a bit over time (generally less than 5%).

Don't know Deepcool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler.
    But quick peak and price and reviews at Amazon looks among higher-end.

Cool on lotsa fans!
    Should work just fine with water for that setup.
    Have stayed away from 2 GPUs myself as not a fan of maintenance for water systems and potetial leak that shut down everything if unlucky.
    My peak temps are very low cos I have tons of ventilation (fans) & big case for ease of whatever want to do.
    So from my experiences would say your cooling setup sounds pretty good.

• Saxa -- SD said:

Haha, cool you will see your monitor soon.  Make sure to check no dead pixels before they give to you.
    27" is so nice if you still want to see past it a lil bit and enjoy other scenery.  32" blots out alot. Or does for me.

Happy to see PSU is Gold.  
    Just one suggestion here, but you may want to consider a quote for Platinum, and/or go a bit higher for PSU like 1000w for upgradeability.  At the least, just so it's ticked off as an explored option?
    PSU is kinda hidden, and not sexy like GPU/CPU, but it's key to everthing work well long-term.  
    And PSU output has been known to deteriorate a bit over time (generally less than 5%).

Don't know Deepcool AK620 High-Performance CPU Cooler.
    But quick peak and price and reviews at Amazon looks among higher-end.

Cool on lotsa fans!
    Should work just fine with water for that setup.
    Have stayed away from 2 GPUs myself as not a fan of maintenance for water systems and potetial leak that shut down everything if unlucky.
    My peak temps are very low cos I have tons of ventilation (fans) & big case for ease of whatever want to do.
    So from my experiences would say your cooling setup sounds pretty good.

Not sure if I'll be able to see the monitor 'on' before I set it up at home however have booked a test website to check it with.

Really looking forward to having D/S and all its working content on the same unit lol ... DIM is great for mass installation purposes :-)

And I'll have room for Carrara and a 3D modeller, and some working files so -- hoping for some productivity next year. Only recently discovered a few products in the Daz3D store that will be very good for making clothing so hopefully we'll all see some improvements in whatever freebies I can release.

• What kind of budget are you aiming for and are you looking for pre-built or build it yourself?

Consider this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdcMY9

edited December 2022

Coming from a do-it-yourself background, I definitely go with the "let the experts build it" when it comes to computers.

Braved the store today, a couple of items were switched for same idea but different parts due to availability ... and even then I noticed that I was buying 1 of "only 1 remaining" so am happy enough to have a complete package put together. Store was so busy that at one point they had to close their doors being at capacity! The build was about 1/2 done when we left the store, so tomorrow night I should be able to come home with my new shinie :-)

The RAM that D/S would use for rendering is 128GB.

Storage space for programs [C drive] is 1TB

Storage space for content [D drive] is 8TB

nVidia RTX 3060 card. 12VRAM

750W power supply

Comes with 3 fans

And a bunch of other stuff totalling a little over Can.$4 grand.

Hope it works!

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588

Hmmm... 8TB storage, that should last about 2 weeks! cheeky

• hehehe, yeah ;-)

I already have several external drives for backups, etc. Can never have too much :-)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,309
    edited December 2022

Ooh, lucky you! I hope your new machine turns out really good for you when you get it home.

I'm following this thread because I'm green with envy! I really need to look at a new PC very soon myself.

My current desktop one is now just over 10 years old, the graphics card is old tech and under powered (it was fine ten years ago) so I've been on CPU-only Iray rendering for several releases of DS. It's also Win7 (though not internet-connected so no real security worries) but that means it can't take DS above 4.20.x nor the newer versions of Blender and many other software apps. There are some upgrades I could do, but I think I may be better off with a brand new build. Hence my interest.

I hope I can find a custom-builder here in the UK to do something similar for me.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • Thank you MelanieL I hope so too. So many times things in life offer disappointments. I want this new build to last about 10 years too. I expect it'll be outdated long before then though. My goal is to get it all setup and then have it offline as much as possible.

When you get your new build you will notice an immense improvement with render times!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,309

Yes, I'm sure I will. I do far fewer images these days because the time to render makes me wonder if it's worth bothering. (I rarely enter any competitions for this reason)

Have fun!

• Thank you MelanieL I hope so too. So many times things in life offer disappointments. I want this new build to last about 10 years too. I expect it'll be outdated long before then though. My goal is to get it all setup and then have it offline as much as possible.

When you get your new build you will notice an immense improvement with render times!

These days as soon as you build it, it's all ready outdated. ;)
  • It sort of starts off out-dated but not by much ;-) Should have a few good years of updates etc. available.

And it's "home"!!! Looks something like an octopus with a bunch of wires I'm expected to know what to do with lol ... {it's been awhile} I think I have the keyboard and mouse plugged in, the monitor I hope is plugged in ... but there's no way I'm turning the power on tonight. First run one has to deal with M$ and keys and all that, a good night's sleep is very helpful for such tasks.

Decided why not, and splurged for a decent pair of headphones too, they are just headphone, no walkie-talkie thingies attached to it.

And oh yes, for "wireless" internet, the beastie comes with 2 [two] antennas! Personally I think those ports should have been placed on the top of the unit like rabbit ears but alas, designers never ask me for input lol ...

edited December 2022

So while at the store, the technician discovered that the 8T drive had not been scanned for the sales record, so he removed it and then put it back in. However, {now you know I couldn't sleep until I got this up and running lol ...} the system was not reading the drive. I pictured the horror scene of me trying to repackage this, etc. and decided to use our good friend Google. Good friends do not disappoint.

I found the "0" drive that apparently required something called initialization, and did something ... I think I did it right. The drive now shows up and I created a new folder in it {for D/S of course}. So folks, that's my first ever, whatever it is that I just did.

is this right.png
    1096 x 597 - 33K
    yes.png
    1125 x 589 - 39K
  • O hey you got your new Shiny!  Awesome.  Any difference? smiley

Seems your tech missed initializing the HD.  He shoulda asked what drive letter you wanted for it, IMO.  But you got it!

• Yes, it's "fast" lol ... first few 'one item' test renders took only seconds :-) And it can render the Daz Bulldog 'as it loads' with all that fur on it. Looks much better.

Yes, all that type of work is what I had paid some good money for them to do at the store. However, things happened and thankfully everything ended well. And everything else they put together seems to be working just fine. Happy Camper :-)

And eventually I'll have all the products loaded and then render out some of those lovely dForce hairs :-)

• Cool.

• I seem to recall downloading via DIM being faster, however I now also own more products so yes, it's been downloading all night and still not finished. But we're getting there.

Carrara installed and works on the new rig :-)  Neat feature I discovered in DIM, one can get the serial key in DIM :-)

This is a temp. post ... I've waited so long for this ... keyboard flashes! [and yes, I figured out to shut that off, gets annoying after awhile] The reflection on the side is the glass side to the case. The name inside also rotates colours. The line in the way is for the headphones.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17AChvkcxMNq3rYpoANBJwHqaQa-xzfX1/view?usp=sharing