Flattening a Genesis 8 character?

Bit of a weird question, but here it goes!

I am wanting to make some clothes on hangers, and one of the suggestions I found was to adjust the scale to flatten the character along the appropriate axis. Then apply clothing, turn off the character, and boom! Hanging clothes via the invisible character.

Only, then I went in to try this and I couldn't find how to scale a Genesis 8 character along axises -- I just see one setting for overall scale. Is there another way to do this? Or would I need to look at a different Genesis model?

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

That sounds like a complicated solution. I would have thought it would be easier to use dForce for that - either actually putting the clothes on an actual hanger and letting it run or carefully painting the weight along the top edge to fix that in place. But then I havn't done anything that far outside the norm with dForce yet so perhaps that just doesn't work.

• I tried putting the clothes on an actual hanger and applying dForce. It didn't work. The clothes still hung like they were around the body instead of flattening out like real fabric.

edited December 2022

sarahwaitestx said:

I tried putting the clothes on an actual hanger and applying dForce. It didn't work. The clothes still hung like they were around the body instead of flattening out like real fabric.

Yeah - I just tried that and it needs some more work.

I had to convert the Clothing form a figure to a prop, then re-add dForce. This then looked like it would work but explodes when hitting the hanger. So I added a weight node and de-painted a line at the top so I could sim with the hanger hidden. It probably needs to be done with a bit more finess than this mockup but it does seem to work.

Dress on a hanger.png
    444 x 720 - 397K
    Post edited by SofaCitizen on
    edited December 2022

Ahh, OK, to do it the other way:

• Select the clothing
    • Go to Parameters tab
    • Click on the "hamburger" icon in the top-right
    • Select Preferences -> Show Hidden Properties
    • You can then scale the Z axis independently

You still have to sim the dForce but that's probably easier than the other way.

Dress on a hanger 2.png
    397 x 641 - 274K
    Post edited by SofaCitizen on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

sarahwaitestx said:

I tried putting the clothes on an actual hanger and applying dForce. It didn't work. The clothes still hung like they were around the body instead of flattening out like real fabric.

You need to pick xlothing that is weight mapped to be completely dforce and not just certain parts. Also pick clothing that isn't too complicated

hangershirt.jpg
    1481 x 847 - 648K
  • I got it! Thanks y'all. I used SofaCitzen's second method and it worked like a charm.

hanging clothes test.png
    500 x 500 - 143K
  • To make d-force work, you don't need to convert to prop or anything, just remove the original dforce and add a new one. This will remove any weight mapping and replace it with a standard dforce that applies to eveything.