Power of Z-Brush sculpting in Hexagon

TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Ever wanted to sculpt like z-brush in Hexagon, but didnt know it where to start.
Well its hidden in plain sight. Checkout the videos to show a few tips on getting the sculpting features of Z-Brush in Hexagon.

Sculpting in Hexagon

Comments

• PoserMagicPoserMagic Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Very handy, thank you for sharing :)

• SimonWMSimonWM Posts: 924
    edited December 1969

This is an incredibly good tutorial. I wish the author would do more Hexagon / Z-Brush howtos.

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

you should post that link in the tute sticky...

8)

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

The Sculptris program, I think it is only a watered down Z Brush, has mirroring sculpting feature,
    Does Hexagon do this too? So when we do work on an obj, the same thing happens on the other side.

• admkrkadmkrk Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Sculpris was an independent project that Pixelogic bought out and continues to offer for free. I don't know if that stopped development on it or not tho?
    Symmetry works in Hex just as good as any app., It should work for this as well. If it doesn't there's no reason not to delete one 1/2 of the mesh and mirror that.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734
    edited June 2012

Symmetry yes.
    Simple test.
    Drag a sphere
    select the sphere
    under the properties tab select symmetry and choose the default X plane
    on the UV & Paint Tab choose Displacement Brush Tool
    Hold the shift key and move the brush over half the sphare to deform it, you will note that the other half deforms.
    This is the approach used in more complex objects to mold/model the surface

hexsym.jpg
    800 x 500 - 134K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

thank you,

• VicSVicS Posts: 1,204

I had searched manyh times for hexagon lessons and have never found one that didnt scare me, the scuplting video is so well done, I am sure I will be able to follow it without road blocks coming up and to make things twice as good the video was followed by this series 

these 7 videos or so show how to use the geometry tools in order to model from primitives and it is also excellent!

Did other people have their video followed by this series also?

Had I come accross either person's videos a few years ago I would have been fluid in hexagon a ,long time ago, I am just reluctant to follow just any old video as every time I have tried I get stuck, if the author does not carefully show everything just great , the way these two have, then chances of me getting stuck are high, once I learn a program I can become very good at it, but if I dont have the proper instruction to begin with I just give up not being able to jump over the road blocks

I recently learned to sculpt in Blender which was not hard at all with the help of ssomeone very good at it  

But in my experince any morph for g8 made in blender, maya, 3ds etc etc blows up when apllied, only zbrush was consistent that it's morphs work fine in daz when applied< i dont have zbrush or ever tried to use it

and I am confident with hexagon the morphs will load and apply just fine-

so thank you very very much for posting this life changing hexagon scuplting video

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 734

You are correct, the morphs for Daz figures in Hexagon usually work without a hitch. Other applciations have matured over the years and have left Hexagon in the dust with the added features, Yet we return to Hexagon because of how far ahead it was for it's time. As of today you can still accomplish 90% of what you need in Hexagon, even the ability to use alpha brushes from other programs to perform very detailed sculpting and blending.

If your intent is to get a job in the industry, you will have to learn the tools of the industry. If you intent is to work in Daz Studio environment and modify existing or build compatible models and assets, then learning Hexagon is valuable but, Blender as you pointedd out is a great tool to learn and has a lot to offer since it is a low or no-cost alternative to Z-Brush.

There are a lot of video out there for Hexagon and Blender alike. The true industry accepted application still remains Z-Brush. While Hexagon is no Z-Brush (maybe infant z-Brush) it does offer a direct link into Studio and therefore holds its value to the end user.

If you are truely interested in building morphs for Daz figures then learn the tool. Daz does have a Z-Brush link that conforms to the required parameters to produce proper morphs. Blender also has a plugin that meets the requirements.

Look for us over at Digital Art Live and reach out and maybe we can create something interesting together.