A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,905

Sadly, still no way to filter out these items.

It's a pain make purchases these days, I have to double check everything in cart before completing the order.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,519

ArtAngel said:

This new release item, featured on todays sale page, has an editorial license.

https://www.daz3d.com/cyberpunk-coupe-car

Another case of Why?

At least I don't see any obvious resemblance to any real car.

Too bad, as it's believable looking instead of toonish or made into a caricature like some of the cars available.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

Thanks for the notice. Pity, such a nice looking car model.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,248

Maybe it has something to do with the name. "Stallion" which is a muscle car in GTA 5

Or

I don't even see the resemblance to the old Toyota.

• LynnInDenverLynnInDenver Posts: 147

This is why it wound up Editorial, it's based on a concept car prepping to go to production.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43828371/hyundai-n-vision-74-concept-production-confirmed-report/

LynnInDenver said:

This is why it wound up Editorial, it's based on a concept car prepping to go to production.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43828371/hyundai-n-vision-74-concept-production-confirmed-report/

Ok, that explains the the editorial licence...

• PerttiA said:

ArtAngel said:

This new release item, featured on todays sale page, has an editorial license.

https://www.daz3d.com/cyberpunk-coupe-car

Another case of Why?

At least I don't see any obvious resemblance to any real car.

Too bad, as it's believable looking instead of toonish or made into a caricature like some of the cars available.

It's a direct copy of the Hyundai N Vision 74, which is still a concept car. Aside from debranding it is *identical*.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

PerttiA said:

LynnInDenver said:

Ok, that explains the the editorial licence...

Now that only leaves an explanation for where anyone who gets the (Hyundai) prototype will obtain the hydrogen to refuel... Ever since that thing with the  zeppelin in New Jersey there haven't been a lot of hydrogen gas stations. 

Cool looking car though... I'm assuming most of the people who'll buy the prototype won't have to worry about silly stuff like where they'll obtain hydrogen as they'll probably have their own refueling station built on their 3 million acre estate/personal race course.

Pfft... rich people problems.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,248

LynnInDenver said:

Yep, I was wrong. I do like real cars.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,447

iIts a beautiful looking car. The EL thing doesn't effect me, as far as I know, as I'm just rendering here at home, but I don;t like seeing it, especially in the DAZ+ products. 

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,068

NotAnArtist said:

Torquinox said:

NotAnArtist said:

Why is there a Volkswagen (bus), literally named as such, on sale at the R-word's site? Lots of other cars, planes, etc like that, too.

Their licenses say: "You are completely free to use this figure in any commercial or non-commercial render, image, or animation."

So there! I rest my case! And, of course, I don't understand my case.

My guess would be, they are less concerned with consequences. Maybe they are small enough that no one in the larger world notices or cares? It's odd. I recall only one case where an item there was modified due to IP concerns, and the IP owner was Disney. The House of Mouse owns a lot of IP.

Rendero isn't really small, is it? It's affiliated with Poser, and has been around for a long time. They have a ton of creators, and is likewise loaded with high quality props (along with a lot of otherwise, like any site). They have to be aware of problems, if there are any, of having "Volkswagen" displayed right there in the product's name!

If something trademark or copyright protected is used commercially the person publishing it is the one on the hook. You can point at Rendo for selling you the item, they'll just shrug. They won't take any financial responsiblity. DAZ is just more responsible about this stuff than Rendo.

• mdingmding Posts: 1,141

lou_harper said:

If something trademark or copyright protected is used commercially the person publishing it is the one on the hook. You can point at Rendo for selling you the item, they'll just shrug. They won't take any financial responsiblity. DAZ is just more responsible about this stuff than Rendo.

I don't mind if products are sold with EL and agree with you, that ultimately i will be accountable if using sth which infringes copyright, no matter which license it was sold with in the first place.

But imo the cart symbol i click on for products with EL should be in a different color, like say violett or yellow. As my ticket isn't processed since hours, most likely i will loose a good sales' coupon (DOLLAR-DEALZ), just because i didn't stay alert to that possibility in the wrong moment, and that really sucks!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,859

exactly 

I don't object to the editorial license so much as it's a way for people to get models they want for personal use

but

I don't want to be accidentally buying one also

I do YouTube videos as my hobby

Ok, customer support was very nice to me: i was allowed to keep the rest of my order with the DOLLAR-DEALZ coupon, just the EL product was removed - thankyou, a very nice gesture!

Still, I hope for the different cart-symbol color, and i believe CS staff does, too. It would be win-win for all of us.

• doubledeviantdoubledeviant Posts: 1,042
    Yet another ruined by editorial license:

X-Fashion Olympian Warrior Outfit for Genesis 9

doubledeviant said:

Yet another ruined by editorial license:

X-Fashion Olympian Warrior Outfit for Genesis 9

Thankyou @doubledeviant!

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2023

mding said:

lou_harper said:

I don't mind if products are sold with EL and agree with you, that ultimately i will be accountable if using sth which infringes copyright, no matter which license it was sold with in the first place.

But imo the cart symbol i click on for products with EL should be in a different color, like say violett or yellow. As my ticket isn't processed since hours, most likely i will loose a good sales' coupon (DOLLAR-DEALZ), just because i didn't stay alert to that possibility in the wrong moment, and that really sucks!

Agreed. It should be in GIANT RED LETTERS at the top.

Post edited by lou_harper on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,277

Torquinox said:

NotAnArtist said:

Why is there a Volkswagen (bus), literally named as such, on sale at the R-word's site? Lots of other cars, planes, etc like that, too.

Their licenses say: "You are completely free to use this figure in any commercial or non-commercial render, image, or animation."

So there! I rest my case! And, of course, I don't understand my case.

My guess would be, they are less concerned with consequences. Maybe they are small enough that no one in the larger world notices or cares? It's odd. I recall only one case where an item there was modified due to IP concerns, and the IP owner was Disney. The House of Mouse owns a lot of IP.

And even tries to claim things they don't like a certain species of fish 

lou_harper said:

mding said:

lou_harper said:

Agreed as the little script is easily missed especilly by impulse buyers 

I don't do commercial stuff, but as I understand it you can not use these in any way that you profit from them, including contest winnings, galleries where viewers can tip or donate to the artist or have to subscribe to your gallery

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,337
    edited July 2023

In the Editorial Licensing Listing thread SofaCitizen said:

Killmonger Hair and Beard for Genesis 3 and 8 from 2018 now seems to have the editorial licence applied.

Wait what, do we now have to check the licensing in our items each time before we use them ??? I purchased that item back in 2018 long before there even was an editorial license and now my product library shows it as having an editorial license. I consider this unilateral change as highly unfair.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,603

Well, aside from the fact that I am pretty sure you cannot copyright a hairstyle so no idea why that licence would be applied it does set a worrying prescendent if licences can be altered in a way that adds restrictions that were not in place when the transaction was made.

In theory you should be able to claim that you bought it under the standard licence so should be able to use it under those terms, however, I don't know if you can prove that since it's not like the licence is listed anywhere other than in the store - unless there is something I am not aware of - and the licence change is not logged anywhere in the product descriotion or wiki.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,990

If this hold true, it's basically ripping the floor from any customer relationship I'm having with this store.

I put in a support ticket, and hope that someone just made an error...

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,337

BeeMKay said:

If this hold true, it's basically ripping the floor from any customer relationship I'm having with this store.

Please let us know the result. If DAZ can now unilaterally and without notification change the licensing terms of already purchased items I will be requesting a full refund (almost $58K) of all the items I ever purchased from them.

• Charlie Judge said:

BeeMKay said:

Please let us know the result. If DAZ can now unilaterally and without notification change the licensing terms of already purchased items I will be requesting a full refund (almost $58K) of all the items I ever purchased from them.

We have also sent in a query.

• AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205

That's wild!

I don't have this item, but this cannot be right? I have no problem with NEW editorial license items, yet if my entire library could be retroactively restricted... This has to be a mistake... I'm certainly holding off on getting anything new until this is clarified or rectified.

• NathNath Posts: 2,719

I've also put in a ticket. If this is not a mistake, it pretty much ends my purchasing days here at DAZ.

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited July 2023

I'm afraid it's the same with me. I'm going to hold on wih getting anything new from Daz. For the time being.

MCU did not invent this hairstyle. Only thing linking it to the movie is the product name which could be changed.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

lou_harper said:

mding said:

lou_harper said:

In an effort to be constructive, might I make a suggestion?

Perhaps a reasonable way to proceed would be use a 2nd flag (underneath the new flag) on thumbnails to indicate the asset is sold with an editorial license only? Not only would this make it eaiser to notice, but customers could take note without ever having to click through from a listings page to the product page.

- Greg