Carrara Challenge #65 - Turning Points - Stills, Comics, and Animations Accepted

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,806
    edited January 2023

the turning point was around 80,000 years ago when the flip happened ... surprise

Turning Point.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,714

Stezza said:

the turning point was around 80,000 years ago when the flip happened ... surprise

Excellent & nice modelling on the Caveman !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

+1

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,986

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

+1

+ 2   ~ 

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

ed3D_659128 said:

Diomede said:

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

+1

+ 2   ~ 

+3  smiley

edited January 2023

Horse Domestication - WIP - Background

My 3rd entry will take two or three Carrara renders.  This first render is the background.  The entry is set on the grassland steppes of Asia. For this background, I am starting with a large Carrara scene. In an image editor, I made a few heightmaps that have black all along the edge so that they can be tiled together.  In a large scene in Carrara, I inserted a few terrains and loaded my heightmaps.  I then used a regular replicator, not surface replicator, to place the terrains in a grid larger than individual terrains.  I wanted gaps.  An infinite plane is used the fill in the flatlands between the low hills.  I inserted a second set of terrains replicated and angled to make the distant higher hills tailing off into the distance. Behind the angled hills, I inserted and duplicated higher mountans.  I am using a Carrara realistic sky with sunlight to get the atmospheric haze for the distant hills and mountains.  

Here is a WIP for the background.

As per PhilW's training video, I will be inserting this first render into the backdrop channel of a new Carrara medium size scene.  That will have the main figures illustrating the turning point I have chosen.  I may have a third render for the mid-ground elements that I intend to use to give more depth and scale, but we will see.

Background scene setup and other Carrara file details attached as screengrabs.

aa04 wip for steppes background.jpg
    1600 x 860 - 86K
    aa01 scene setup eurasian steppes.jpg
    1848 x 938 - 266K
    aa02 heightmaps that can be tiles because black edge.jpg
    1385 x 933 - 82K
    aa03 heightmap for terrain for steppes.jpg
    1853 x 951 - 198K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited January 2023

And  the 2nd    _  W.I.P.s

Screenshot (145).png
    1920 x 1009 - 269K
    Screenshot (140).png
    1920 x 1009 - 213K
    Screenshot (141).png
    1870 x 1013 - 186K
    Post edited by ed3D on

Diomede said:

Update Challenge Status

We are at about the point a normal challenge would be beginning.  The entry thread will close about a month from now (Feb 18th).  Plenty of time for people to get started on a brand new project.  Still images are welcome.  A page of comic panels is welcome.  A short animation is welcome.  Each participant can have up to 6 entries.

Thanks for that update!

Diomede said:

Horse Domestication - WIP - Background

My 3rd entry will take two or three Carrara renders.  This first render is the background.  The entry is set on the grassland steppes of Asia. For this background, I am starting with a large Carrara scene. In an image editor, I made a few heightmaps that have black all along the edge so that they can be tiled together.  In a large scene in Carrara, I inserted a few terrains and loaded my heightmaps.  I then used a regular replicator, not surface replicator, to place the terrains in a grid larger than individual terrains.  I wanted gaps.  An infinite plane is used the fill in the flatlands between the low hills.  I inserted a second set of terrains replicated and angled to make the distant higher hills tailing off into the distance. Behind the angled hills, I inserted and duplicated higher mountans.  I am using a Carrara realistic sky with sunlight to get the atmospheric haze for the distant hills and mountains.  

Here is a WIP for the background.

As per PhilW's training video, I will be inserting this first render into the backdrop channel of a new Carrara medium size scene.  That will have the main figures illustrating the turning point I have chosen.  I may have a third render for the mid-ground elements that I intend to use to give more depth and scale, but we will see.

Background scene setup and other Carrara file details attached as screengrabs.

Awesome Landscape - looking forward to the finished item !!!

ed3D said:

Woohoo - Robbie the Robot - nice modelling !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Diomede said:

Update Challenge Status

We are at about the point a normal challenge would be beginning.  The entry thread will close about a month from now (Feb 18th).  Plenty of time for people to get started on a brand new project.  Still images are welcome.  A page of comic panels is welcome.  A short animation is welcome.  Each participant can have up to 6 entries.

Thanks for that update!

Come on all you lurkers - join in and have some fun !!!

edited January 2023

The moment when Buzz began to suspect that his oxygen might be a tad low...

This one sort of evolved.  I got a $5 coupon from Daz, and decided to spend it on a spaceship model that I had resisted buying.  It was the FMN-232.  Even though it was a Carrara model, it didn't look very good in the promo, so I had managed to avoid it for 7 years.

The ship texture was kind of odd, and reacted weirdly in my normal (extreme) light setup.  Therefore, I started Carrara from scratch.  In most renders, I set ambient to 0.  But in this one, it ended up at 75. surprise

As the ship started looking better, I added the Mercury planet from Alberto, and the Astronaut native model from the Carrara object browser.  Then came Nata, a clever Genesis female toonish figure from Smay.  She looks black in the setup because of using Sparrowhawke's Edge Falloff shader.

The render is kind of an homage to Gary Larson (I've done one before).

The background is Dart's Starry Sky freebie applied to a transparent sphere, and some doctored Carrara clouds that hopefully look a bit like distant nebulas.  The Desert Sun lens flare setting is applied with mild secondary effects.  A teensy amount of Carrara fire in there as well.

No postwork.

The Moment.png
    1800 x 1200 - 6M
    The Moment Carrara setup.JPG
    1669 x 1020 - 215K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Woohoo - Robbie the Robot - nice modelling !!!

~   And  Thanx  Kindly   // 

edited January 2023

UnifiedBrain said:

Diomede said:

Update Challenge Status

Thanks for that update!

+  1   :

Post edited by ed3D on

@ed3D - excellent modeling for the robot.  Is that Blender?  Silo?  Other?  If it is Blender, your interface looks a lot different from mine. In any case, good looking model.

@UnifiedBrain - excellent homage to Gary Larson.  Nice to see Dart's starry sky product put to good use.  Nice color choices.  What a way to go.  :)

edited January 2023

Thanks for the comment on my background landscape, Bunyip.  I have been playing with some variations.  Tried a couple of different ways to apply grass, but the replicated terrains are too distant to make a difference.  In the attached, I grew hair on the replicated terrains and the camera angle is different.  Hair grass is not noticeable enough in this image to be worth the render resources.

Horse Steppes Terrains Replicated For Background F.png
    2400 x 1290 - 2M
    Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede said:

@ed3D - excellent modeling for the robot.  Is that Blender?  Silo?  Other?  If it is Blender, your interface looks a lot different from mine. In any case, good looking model.

and  Thanx  -   it is  Blender 2.79b 

edited February 2023

And  Perhaps  No 1   Entry  `

and   Title _    ~  the First UFO  ~

HOM_1ST-UHF-1FAF.png
    1920 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by ed3D on

ed3D said:

and   Title :  the First UFO  ~

Erich von Däniken would be impressed !!!

edited February 2023

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

and   Title _    ~  the First UFO  ~

Erich von Däniken would be impressed !!!

And  Thanx  very much    ~ 

Post edited by ed3D on

Lookining good, ed3D.  

Two Week Notice

There is about two weeks remaining as of the time of this post.  I will open the entry thread in a few days, and it will stay open until midnight February 18th, Daz Mountain Time.

edited February 2023

Diomede said:

Lookining good, ed3D.  

~   And  Thanx  very much    ~ //

Post edited by ed3D on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,806
    edited February 2023

tried a comic style....

Two Dudes

Used LoRenzo x 2 and Stonemason's urban sprawl. and Comic Life 3

Screenshot 2023-02-09 145249.png
    1483 x 772 - 2M
    Two Dudes.png
    800 x 1132 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

tried a comic style....

Two Dudes

Used LoRenzo x 2 and Stonemason's urban sprawl. and Comic Life 3

Good one !!!

So far, Stezza, you have the market for comic panels cornered!  Good one.

Dartanbeck said:

I am rendering the first part of the first part of my first entry. 

With Jonstark being so generous, I'm using one of his hairstyles. Rendering Gamma Correction = 2.2 makes Carrara's dynamic hair look silly. Too bright and glowy. To correct this, I multiplied all of the colors from both colors and highlights by something just like themselves but darker - sometimes (not this time) desaturated a bit too. It was a little too transparent against this bright sky from a distance, so I also increased the hair size to a value of 1, while retaining the Medium scale. This stuff is really nicely set up and easy to work with. I love that it comes grown onto a conforming, invisible bust!

Our camera is coming around from behind the ship, making a large 120 degree orbit which ends up a closeup of his face. Just having him stuck in one position that whole time would be unacceptable. It would also look silly if his hands were sliding around. So I added an IK Chain for each arm and animated his body and head. The ship is also flying as are the two (so far) render cameras.

I don't really want to spill out how this fits the theme - but trust me... it does. (I really like this hair!)

More WIP to come with screen shots and techniques I'm using. For now, here's one frame from the first slew of renders:

Dart - hoping you have an entry for us to marvel at !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Thanks all, for the comments on Santa's night after Christmas.

A widescreen update:

Added G2F and an old Carrara object.

Red sky at night, Santa delight. :)

UB make sure Santa does not miss the party and enter him !!!

Grimmvald said:

Here's a very prelim WIP for an idea I'm working on.  It uses Portal of Riza, Carrara shaders and displacement bumps, a couple of figures yet to come, rendered in Carrara and post work in On1 photoraw.  Shrodenger's Dilemna:  what do you get when you cross Schrodinger's cat with "The Lady or the Tiger"?  And yeah, you have to go in because there's a couple of big guys with spears to move you along.

*file won't upload so I'll try again later*

Grimmvald - get that entry in !!!