AMD 7900x or AMD 7950x ???

Does anyone trully know if there a significant difference between the the performance in DAZ of the AMD 7900x and the AMD 7950x. I bought an AMD 7900x just before the dropped. The price was  $599 at a compter shop, and dropped to 474 online. Now the price for a AMD 7950x is $574 online and  $720 in the computer shop. (The shop basically charges what they paid regardless of price drops).  I have had issues with Newegg in the past and don't really embrace the the data sharing at Amazon or Ebay. As a rule I try to resist signing up for new accounts online. (Until I actually find a legitimately private email service, lol).

All that being said I am just really wondering if there would be a very noticable boost using an 7950x since I do use PWtoon for animations  in 3DL. How much difference would there be with  an extra 4 cores (16 opposed to 12) and 8 threads (32 opposed to 24).

Also I use Iclone 8 now so would there be any advantage to a AMD 7950x for Iclone? Thanks!

Comments

• kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

From what I understand Blend takes advantage of a higher thread count, but I was told that DAZ does not use more than one thread. Does anybody know?

• vagansvagans Posts: 422

Extra cores aren't going to help with using Daz unless you're rendering solely on CPU instead of GPU.

Thanks Vagans, yes I do use 3DL for rendering non photorealistic with PWtoon. What I am trying to find out is if there would be a significant boost to having 16 cores and 32 threads opposed to the 12 core and 24 threads. Significant being the key word. I saw tests done with Blender where the AMD 7950x had 25% better rendering speed performance over the AMD 7900x. I would have to pay an additional $120 to upgrade from the AMD 7900x that I purchased, so I am just wondering if it would be worth it.

Is there a better place to post this question, Usually the hardware gurus are all over question about processor speeds and rendering times.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

kwannie said:

From what I understand Blend takes advantage of a higher thread count, but I was told that DAZ does not use more than one thread. Does anybody know?

This is a common misconception. Certain tasks within DS are not capable of using multiple cores, but this is true of other 3D apps as well. 3DL does benefit from both core count and core speed, as I understand it.

I appreciate the feedback Gordig , you always have great insite. On this particular topic I'm aware that A high core count benefits 3DL, My issue is whether not having 12 cores would be significantly slower than having 16 cores in DAZ. I guess the problem is that not many people have been able to compare the two AMD processors just yet. I am nearing my cut off date to return my AMD 7900x and purchase the AMD 7950x. Was hoping to get some solid confirmation of improve or not.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

Sven Dullah is the person to talk to about this.

Yeah, Gordig Sven really educated me on 3DL last year, I wonder if he would know of any performace differences between the 7900x and the 7950x. Sven if you happen to come across this, what is your opinion?