Can you have an object turned off in render but keep reflected light and shadow?

Is it possible to you have an object turned off in render but keep the reflected light? I've faked it before by turning the object into a ghost light but, you just have to guess on the amount of reflections. There's several options to turn an object off in the render or viewport but, the options I tried didn't work.

Thanks

Comments

• I think Iray Matte would help with the shadows. But I doubt there's a way for an object to be invisble while still taken into account by reflections. Iray sadly lacks a lot of options that other renderers have for years.

I guess you'd have to render multiple times some areas (Spot Render) to composite a final effect in Photoshop.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

. (Message appeared twice for some reason, sorry for this useless second post)

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,898

Can't be done in IRAY AFAIK.

• Matte will handle both shadows and reflections - it is afte all meant to allow the of objects to respond to light so that the render can be blended into a photo.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

hansolocambo said:

I think Iray Matte would help with the shadows. But I doubt there's a way for an object to be invisble while still taken into account by reflections. Iray sadly lacks a lot of options that other renderers have for years.

I guess you'd have to render multiple times some areas (Spot Render) to composite a final effect in Photoshop.

Thanks, I didn't think about Matte. I don't use it often, I didn't the shortcut saved but, lost it. It was for a spot render I was wanting to use it. I'd moved the camera and wanted to remove the background so I could easily match the spot render to my main render but keep the lighting right. I usually lock the camera but obviously I forgot. I just rerendered the whole scene in the end. Matching the camer is impossible with a background.  Thanks. 

Thanks, Richard I'm going to experiment with that tomorrow. Always good to have options.