Problems with re-installing

Hello everyone!

Thanks for reading and helping. I'm in a unique position, I've had a daz since 2015, but I am also a beginner. I would muck around on my old computer just making pictures and not fully understanding the technical aspects. Well, this year I got a new computer, I want to do more and I want to learn this art properly. Everything on my old computer worked fine.

So I install everything and make some new pictures. I noticed that the wrong part of my computer was getting a workout (The CPU would get into the 90%s and the GPU sat at 1-5%) I didn't pay as close attention to my computer and it's preformance before with my old one, but was trying to pay closer attention with my new cool computer. So I thought "Maybe I installed wrong?" So I tried to uninstall and I think that screwed things up more because folders stayed around. I deleted a couple and got overwhelmed.

So I worry about that for a while before going "Okay I'll just try to reinstall and see what happens" and I got daz central installed just fine but Daz studio won't get past 56%

To be clear I know this is my error I messed around with this stuff without proper knowledge.

Can anyone help me get started correctly?

Thanks for your time!! I really appreciate all help

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

Can't help with the Daz Central issue as I exclusively use DIM to install all Daz stuff.  However, the previous rendering issue could be due to a number of factors - assuming you do indeeed have an nVidia card then it probably means that the scene you are rending is too much for your graphics card's memory so it is reverting to the CPU. If you hadn't uninstalled then you could have done some tests or checked your logs.

If you get everything setup again you can go into the advanced rendering settings and switch off the CPU fallback for rendering. Then, after a restart, if you try to render something your card cannot handle it will just quit and leave you with a black image.

If that is the reason for your GPU not doing the work then there are a whole bunch of ways to try and resolve or work around that.

However, going back to the Daz Central issue - that does kinda ring a bell so there may have been others posting to the forums with that issue so you can try and search for a solution. One of them may be temporarily disabling your antivirus.

• edited December 2022

which search terms do I use?

I do have nVidia, I knew that was important for daz so I made sure when purchasing to get one with nvidia

Post edited by happyhyperwhitemagechibichan on
  • Try using Install Manager rather than Daz Central https://www.daz3d.com/get_install_manager/

How were you checking the GPU usage? Windows Task Manager does not, by default, give useful information - instead go to the Performance tab (you will need to have enabled More Details,) seelct the GPU on the left, and use the little triangle icons on one of the graphs to set it to CUDA.

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

As Richard has said it would be better if you switched to using DIM instead. However, if you are going to persist with Daz Central then you can try opening task manager and killing Daz3d (which does not make sense since if it is not installed how can it be running?) or repeatedly "Logout and Login everytime until it completes" as suggested here (reddit thread) or here.

A quick search also reveals this, this and this which probably explain why I have heard about this issue before. However, the only solutions in those three is also to stop using Daz Central and use DIM instead.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited December 2022

If you do switch to Daz Install Manager (DIM) I would suggest uninstalling everything you installed with Daz Central and start over with DIM. If you have them installed by both methods it can cause conflicts at times. That's just a personal suggestion though. DIM is much more powerful and you can do a lot with it and is far superior. If you don't want to uninstall everything just be sure you don't install anything you already have installed.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • UPDATE: Today, first thing I tried to install, and it finished the job. I did it before checking this thread, so I did so with daz central. Tho, I'm not super attached to using it. With my old computer, I used DIM and was happy with it. I tried daz central since it has pictures when installing items, but I don't have to keep using it. Would it be better at this point to uninstall everything and start again with DIM? If starting over is better, are there tips for deleting everything? Where I'm at right now, I have installed DAZ but not all my assets...

As Richard predicted, I was using the basic windows task manager in its basic way. I tried to follow instructions, so I took a screen cap in case I screwed up. There were 4 little boxes and I changed one to CUDA. Should I have done it to them all? Should I have picked a different one to make CUDA?

gpu.png
    1920 x 1080 - 184K