Can you save a prop with its children?

i've got an eye prop that for some reason shows the eye socket through the pupil, i can get around it by parenting a black sphere (primitive) to each eye but when i save as a prop the Smart parenting function is greyed out (so it doesn't save the spheres) i can highlight the prop and spheres in the scene tab before saving as a prop and the smart parenting function becomes available but it only saves the last item clicked and not all the items selected.

Any ideas how i can get around it?

Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

If you are saving as a Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Assets, you can only do one piece of geometry at a time. Set up your heirarchy the way you want, (figure - eye - sphere) then you can set the Smart Parenting option for the black sphere child object when you save it as a Prop. The Smart Parenting option will know where to put the Prop the next time you load it if the eye is already loaded. If you want the eye prop to also be smart, save it as a prop and set the smart parenting option, too. You can then save the two joined props (eye + sphere) as a scene subset if you unparent the eye from the figure before saving, otherwise the figure will be included in the subset, because you cannot remove the parent figure from a scene subset without removing all its children.

Can't say I have done all of that in one pass, but I have done all the parts at one time or another.

• Try File>Save As>Support Assets>Scene Assets, though I can't recall if it will work for this.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Try File>Save As>Support Assets>Scene Assets, though I can't recall if it will work for this.

As a quick fix that worked... 

Thank you. 

• NorthOf45 said:

If you are saving as a Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Assets, you can only do one piece of geometry at a time. Set up your heirarchy the way you want, (figure - eye - sphere) then you can set the Smart Parenting option for the black sphere child object when you save it as a Prop. The Smart Parenting option will know where to put the Prop the next time you load it if the eye is already loaded. If you want the eye prop to also be smart, save it as a prop and set the smart parenting option, too. You can then save the two joined props (eye + sphere) as a scene subset if you unparent the eye from the figure before saving, otherwise the figure will be included in the subset, because you cannot remove the parent figure from a scene subset without removing all its children.

Can't say I have done all of that in one pass, but I have done all the parts at one time or another.

Even though Richards quick fix will be sufficient i found your explanation of the smart parenting very useful...

Thank you. 

I like to start with the basics until I understand them. Never had the need to try to save as Scene Assets. What did it produce? One scene with several parts, or what? I know that the higher in the Save As... menu, the more it includes, but you have less control on the options. The lower you go, the more specific and narrow the scope.

• NorthOf45 said:

I like to start with the basics until I understand them. Never had the need to try to save as Scene Assets. What did it produce? One scene with several parts, or what? I know that the higher in the Save As... menu, the more it includes, but you have less control on the options. The lower you go, the more specific and narrow the scope.

A scene with all the parts where i need them, they load in the right place i just need to fit them to the figure.

Okay, thanks. Curiosity satisfied...