Why does this background HDR not rotate or move? [Solved]

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

Why does this background HDR not rotate or move?

Today I bought a HDRI pack and stumbled across a very strange but (I think possibly) useful anomally.

This product by artist DREAMLIGHT is titled "Vistas of Wonders".

The strange thing is when I load the scene the vista only has one angle view. You cannot rotate the HDRI even if it is set to infinite sphere.

Even if I add a new camera and rotate the camera on the Y axis the vista stays fixed in the background?

I would like to know how to put my own images here, what is locking the dome?

When I change the HDRI image map it does not change, like there is a hidden plane overriding the environment settings?

It is quite strange, the scene changes and rotates but the HDRI stays fixed.

How do I load my own images into this fixed background?  

These are very beautiful vista images and the background effect seems like it coud be very useful if it is editable.

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

Sounds like it is using a Backdrop, not an HDRI, for the image. The scene lighting might be coming from an HDRI, but with a backdrop, the view does not change, it is "outside" the scene. You have to move the camera around to frame the objects in the viewport. Sounds like a similar product I have: "Real Dynamic Atmospheres MultiPak"

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

NorthOf45 said:

Sounds like it is using a Backdrop, not an HDRI, for the image. The scene lighting might be coming from an HDRI, but with a backdrop, the view does not change, it is "outside" the scene. You have to move the camera around to frame the objects in the viewport. Sounds like a similar product I have: "Real Dynamic Atmospheres MultiPak"

Yes, I agree North, it seems like some sort of stationary backdrop, distant lights work as well. I just can't see any plane or curved object in the scene and nothing hidden as well that I could find...

Very curious...

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,438

It actually pre-dates the general use of HDRI and Iray. The Environment tab has a Backdrop selection where you can set a background picture, any picture. The image will stretch to fit the aspect ratio of your render settings, so you need to adjust them to fit.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

NorthOf45 said:

It actually pre-dates the general use of HDRI and Iray. The Environment tab has a Backdrop selection where you can set a background picture, any picture. The image will stretch to fit the aspect ratio of your render settings, so you need to adjust them to fit.

I found the location, it is very good to know about this, thank you for clearing this up North! yes