Update Meta Data Failure?

I've noticed since I've been back and started using 4.21 beta build, that every time I select something it updated the meta data.  Even if I just deleted and decided to go with that partiular item again. Is there any way to turn this off?  Also, I have been saving characters I generate with SimTeneros Randomizer for a world building project. I know how to do this and have done in many times.  The last 4 characters I saved, only one of them will load.  The others are giving me an updated meta data failure message and refusing to load.  This is HOURS of work down the drain.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

How do you install your content and do you log in to DS?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I install my content with DIM to a separate drive.  I do log in, I never work offline.

IceDragonArt said:

I install my content with DIM to a separate drive.  I do log in, I never work offline.

You do know that logging in to DS is only necessary when one has made the informed decision to use DAZ Connect inside DS as their primary installation method for the content?

PerttiA said:

IceDragonArt said:

You do know that logging in to DS is only necessary when one has made the informed decision to use DAZ Connect inside DS as their primary installation method for the content?

I did not know that.  Thank you!  I cant use DAZ Connect ( and have zero desire to do so) due to postgre issues in any version above 4.11.  Well thats great infromation!

• IceDragonArt said:

PerttiA said:

IceDragonArt said:

I did not know that.  Thank you!  I cant use DAZ Connect ( and have zero desire to do so) due to postgre issues in any version above 4.11.  Well thats great infromation!

Daz Studio uses PostgreSQL in several contexts, and both DIM and Daz central write to the database.

It's the whole process that is being presented to new users that's essentially bound to create problems.

At DAZ site, they are given a link "Download Studio", which doesn't download DAZ Studio, but offers to install DAZ Central instead.
    When the user has installed DAZ Central, downloaded and installed DAZ Studio and the assets that come with it and starts DAZ Studio the first time, the user is presented with a dialog asking for login credentials in a way that one thinks they should be given.
    Having given the login credentials to DS and permission to go online, DAZ Connect within DS starts updating the metadata and 'bugging' the user that the content has not been installed (with DAZ Connect) and makes the user think it has to be installed again, which DAZ Connect does to an other location, taking twice the space on users C-drive (default location)
    As any content installed with DAZ Connect takes priority over the installations made by other methods (DAZ Central/DIM/Manual installation), even when DAZ Connect installed content is corrupt, the user ends up with content that does not work and no way to figure out why...

There is no warning or notice explaining that logging in to DAZ Studio, is only needed when one chooses to install content with DAZ Connect within DAZ Studio and if one does choose to do that, there is no point in using the other installation methods.

If one doesn't want to use DAZ Connect within DS to install content, one should set the Startup options in DS preferences as in the attached sample.

StartUp.jpg
    522 x 244 - 14K

Richard Haseltine said:

IceDragonArt said:

PerttiA said:

IceDragonArt said:

Daz Studio uses PostgreSQL in several contexts, and both DIM and Daz central write to the database.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me with mh postgre issues.  And I've tried every single thing I could find on the issue more than once.  Everything is where it should be, in the exact same spot oas the 4.11 version which does not give me the postgre error when I use it.  So, I guess if I want to use whatever things can't be used without postgree (which I haven't come across yet in several years but I'm sure at some point I willl) I will have to use the 4.11 version.  The message started with 4.12