Trouble moving to new drive

I've got everything installed on an external hard drive, working fine, but now full.  Just got a bigger one and did a complete copy of the old drive onto the new one.  DAZ... sort of sees it.  Go through my content library and the icons are there.  But when I open them it says things aren't installed.  If I skip through, it loads the geometry but not the textures.  How do I reset the installed flag?

The drives are exactly the same F:\Daz Purchased External.  My content directory manager recognizes that and the same on E:\, since usb sometimes gives it a different letter.

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

I'm not sure but it sounds like you might not have added the base folders correctly?

The Base Folders should be set to the folders that contain the "data" and Runtime" folders. So in your case it should be "E:\Daz Purchased External" and "F:\Daz Purchased External". Make sure you did not accidentally add the parent folders: "E:\" or "F:\". I am not sure what triggers it, but sometimes Daz Studio suggests adding incorrect folders with a "new directory found" dialog box so you may have accidentally clicked that.

The other thing is to check that you did actually copy across ALL the data from the old drive - e.g. is the space taken up on both drives the same?

• Ah, I think I found it.  Daz Purchased External was fine, but I also needed to copy over programdata\daz 3d\studio4\dazstudio.dat

• Oops, that only worked as long as both drives were installed, so it's some other problem.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

What is the error text from the log file, when trying to load something?

• thistledownsname said:

I've got everything installed on an external hard drive, working fine, but now full.  Just got a bigger one and did a complete copy of the old drive onto the new one.  DAZ... sort of sees it.  Go through my content library and the icons are there.  But when I open them it says things aren't installed.  If I skip through, it loads the geometry but not the textures.  How do I reset the installed flag?

The drives are exactly the same F:\Daz Purchased External.  My content directory manager recognizes that and the same on E:\, since usb sometimes gives it a different letter.

@thistledownsname Try these steps:
      1. Assign a permanet drive letter that does not change (typically towards the middle or end of the alphabet)... see links below.
      2. Map your new External drive in the Content Directory Manager (CDM)... (Daz Preferences --> Content Tab --> Content Directory Manager)... Select Daz Studio Formats, click the Add button, and point it to your new folder location.
      3. If you are no longer using your old drive, remove it from the Content Directory Manager.
      4. Try and refresh the Library in Daz Studio... Right-Click in Content Library pane/box and select Refresh.
      5. If you use Daz Install Manager (DIM) update it's location too (under the Gear icon - Advanced settings).

How to Assign the Same Drive Letter for USB Drive in Windows
    https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-auto-assign-same-drive-letter-usb-external-drive/

How to assign permanent letters to drives on Windows 10
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-assign-permanent-drive-letter-windows-10

• I've got it working now.  It was yet more files from the old drive.  I don't know why it was reporting that it had moved everything when it hadn't, but it's done now.

• SofaCitizen said:

I'm not sure but it sounds like you might not have added the base folders correctly?

The Base Folders should be set to the folders that contain the "data" and Runtime" folders. So in your case it should be "E:\Daz Purchased External" and "F:\Daz Purchased External". Make sure you did not accidentally add the parent folders: "E:\" or "F:\". I am not sure what triggers it, but sometimes Daz Studio suggests adding incorrect folders with a "new directory found" dialog box so you may have accidentally clicked that.

The New directory Found dialogue is triggered, via a script, when Install Manager sent product files to a location that isn't currently a content directory. If it's wrong then that means the isntaller and DS have mismatched ideas of where the content should be.

The other thing is to check that you did actually copy across ALL the data from the old drive - e.g. is the space taken up on both drives the same?

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,771

Richard Haseltine said:

SofaCitizen said:

The New directory Found dialogue is triggered, via a script, when Install Manager sent product files to a location that isn't currently a content directory. If it's wrong then that means the isntaller and DS have mismatched ideas of where the content should be.

Ahh, thanks, this was the answer. I use DIM on the mac almost exclusively to install purchases on the shared network drive and only run it on the windows machine to update Daz Studio and install windows-only plugins. It seems that I had accidentally set the parent of my Daz library in the windows version of DIM so that probably explains why DS tried to add it.