Help, Textures don´t feel like working along.

Heya. 

I am looking to add a wooden texture to the roof of the van. however it doesnt actually show it, it just changes the colour when I load it in.

On the seperate side and middle panels I have added the same texture and it works like it should, the other surface settings are identical to the roof one, but it just doesn´t want to add it. 

(see picture)

i´m still learning so would love to know what I am doing wrong.

Screensnip.PNG
1472 x 821 - 2M

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Is the roof UV mapped?

• Odesza7Odesza7 Posts: 12
    edited November 2022

felis said:

Is the roof UV mapped?

I am not sure, how would I find out. it shows some scabble lines trough the UV viewport, does that count as being ''UV mapped''?

Post edited by Odesza7 on
  • Odesza7 said:

felis said:

Is the roof UV mapped?

I am not sure, how would I find out. it shows some scabble lines trough the UV viewport, does that count as being ''UV mapped''?

Probably not, you need to see something that shows the layout of the polygons making up the roof - they show which bit of a map will be applied to which bits of the model.

• Probably not, you need to see something that shows the layout of the polygons making up the roof - they show which bit of a map will be applied to which bits of the model.

Like this? 

12345.PNG
    1468 x 821 - 588K
  • Like what? That isa  3D view, not a UV view.

• Odesza7Odesza7 Posts: 12
    edited November 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Like what? That isa  3D view, not a UV view.

Yeah again, im not really sure what im looking for. I get this trough the UV viewport but can't make sense of it. is this what you mean? this is with the roof panel selected.

12345.PNG
    1492 x 898 - 141K
    Post edited by Odesza7 on
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,191

If the roof is it own surface, which it look like on a previous picture, then select the roof in the surface tab, and then click on UV map in the viewport. Then it will only show the UV map of the roof.

• felis said:

If the roof is it own surface, which it look like on a previous picture, then select the roof in the surface tab, and then click on UV map in the viewport. Then it will only show the UV map of the roof.

When I select the roof, it guides to the RearInteriorCeiling tab. when I then open the UV viewport, it guides to the same map as I have shown before. 

a1234.jpg
    1912 x 1016 - 745K
  • Where it says View By Node, at top-left over the UV view, select View By Material instead.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Where it says View By Node, at top-left over the UV view, select View By Material instead.

that shows an empty white square. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,315
    edited November 2022

In that case it isn't UV mapped, you woild need to use a modelling or mapping application to add UVs to it - not that hard, a planar projection from the Y axis (or Z, depending on the application) would probably suffice.

Is this a freebie or a commercial product from another store?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

In that case it isn't UV mapped, you woild need to use a modelling or mapping application to add UVs to it - not that hard, a planar projection from the Y axis (or Z, depending on the application) would probably suffice.

Is this a freebie or a commercial product from another store?

Sorry for the late reaction. yeah that did the trick, thank you! I still cant really explain it but hey if it works it works :)