FBX re-importing question

SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi
The description of FBX import for Daz studio 4.5 reads

FBX files generated by DAZ Studio 4.5 can now be re-imported in FBX format, allowing you to export a figure to certain 3rd party applications for texturing or animation purposes and then import that figure back into DAZ Studio.

So does that mean I can export Genesis, animate it in a program like 3ds max and then re-import it back into Daz studio with the animation I've created? or does that paragraph refer to something entirely different?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Hi
    The description of FBX import for Daz studio 4.5 reads
    FBX files generated by DAZ Studio 4.5 can now be re-imported in FBX format, allowing you to export a figure to certain 3rd party applications for texturing or animation purposes and then import that figure back into DAZ Studio.

So does that mean I can export Genesis, animate it in a program like 3ds max and then re-import it back into Daz studio with the animation I've created? or does that paragraph refer to something entirely different?

try it and let us all know

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited August 2012

Well I sort of have had a go, but I'm having issues. The attached error message appears whenever I try to import Genesis back into Daz studio. So I was just wondering whether it is possible and I'm just doing something wrong, or it isn't possible and I'm simply misinterpretting the paragraph.

fbx_error.png
    420 x 167 - 32K
    Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Where did you export Genesis to, and what changes did you make?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

try using BVH if you can to bring the animation back

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,924
    edited December 1969

I have yet to get it to work with anything inc Genesis to iClone 3dxchange5 for retargetting and loading iMotions.
    certainly not with Carrara rigged fbx or any fbx figures from Unity etc.
    does bring in meshes and sometimes animated bones but not rigged.

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Hi again
    Has anybody found out what software the FBX import works perfectly with?
    I contacted DAZ about the trouble I've been having and while I don't have high hopes for getting help importing a FBX file exported from 3DS max back into Daz studio 4.5 I did also ask what software the feature works with and I've not had any response in 5 days.