What to look for when getting a new computer

Hi!
I have some money to spend and I'm looking to aquire a new computer, as my old one is getting quite ready for retirement. And the DAZ works I do is the absolute most heavy stuff I use the computer for. (I don't do gaming etc) My main problem is that the computer is running slow when it comes to rendering  and running dforce simulations + that large scenes or scenes with more people than 3 or scenes with dforce hair makes it crash. 

So I wonder, can anyone help me out with what I should need 'underneath the hood' for my newer computer when it comes to 
* Large scenes with a lot of nature and / or people in
* Faster rendering
* Faster D-force simulation
etc

What am I looking for when I read the computer adds?
What is important and what is less important? 

And please, no Geekspeech as I'm not a tech person. :-) 

Comments

• Intel CPU, Nvidia RTX card, and at least 32 GB system Ram. AMD CPU is unknown to me. I have built many AMD machines with Radeon video cards, and I have read that AMD has a problem with DAZ. Some with an AMD machine can tell you more. Click on System two below, which will give you an Idea. Don't click on the first link it will just make you jelly.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

Intel i9 (12900K or KS), RTX 3090 24GB VRAM, DDR5 Motherboard, 32GB of DDR5 RAM.

And you've got yourself a beast (About 2800-3000$).

I went from an i7-7800X, RTX 2070S 8GB VRAM, 32GB DDR4 RAM, to that config above. And the new one is definitely insanely more powerful.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2022

hansolocambo said:

Intel i9 (12900K or KS), RTX 3090 24GB VRAM, DDR5 Motherboard, 32GB of DDR5 RAM.

And you've got yourself a beast (About 2800-3000$).

I went from an i7-7800X, RTX 2070S 8GB VRAM, 32GB DDR4 RAM, to that config above. And the new one is definitely insanely more powerful.

I made a 3d Mark on both systems; the I7 got a better score than system than my machine. I know why now I need to upgrade my motherboard. I have PCIe gen three and system 2 PCIe gen 4. Kind of a bottleneck on the PCIe gen three on my system.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

AgitatedRiot said:

Intel CPU, Nvidia RTX card, and at least 32 GB system Ram. AMD CPU is unknown to me. I have built many AMD machines with Radeon video cards, and I have read that AMD has a problem with DAZ. Some with an AMD machine can tell you more. Click on System two below, which will give you an Idea. Don't click on the first link it will just make you jelly.

Can you elaborate on the AMD problem you read about? I used DS on my Phenom II back in the day, then an i5, now I'm on my second Ryzen system. I've never had anything CPU related with either platform.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2022
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

AgitatedRiot said:

DAZ Studio and AMD - Daz 3D Forums

Can AMD CPU work with IRAY? - Daz 3D Forums

AMD Card - Daz 3D Forums

That should help you with AMD

Got it. Sorry, I thought you were saying AMD CPUs had problems in DS. My mistake. Cheers. (and nice gallery!)

• Thank you