What is happening here? Texture on an instance is black when the instance is in the distance?

metasidemetaside Posts: 177

Hi all,

I wanted to make a quick game in UE today to help my boy with counting, but rendering pictures in Daz lead to a very strange problem. In the attached picture you can see that the texture on some instances seems to be partly black. My quesitons are:

Why is this happening?

How do I fix it?

Edit: The model is Jumbo Jet VIP Iray btw...

Thanks for any thoughts!

Count_Plane07.png
1080 x 1080 - 597K
Post edited by metaside on

Comments

• Sometimes lights can cause that sort of clipping. Are you lighting the scene via lights or just using HDRI?
  • metasidemetaside Posts: 177

FenixPhoenix said:

Sometimes lights can cause that sort of clipping. Are you lighting the scene via lights or just using HDRI?

Thanks, it's just the standard HDRI though.

• Is theer a shell or the like being used to apply details (text, logo)? If so it may be a rounding error - the more distant models lose trailing digits in their coordinates as they need more at the front and so the surfaces that were separate nar-to merge further away, producing the issues you see. Changing Instance Optimisation and then changing it back (you want it on Memory ultimately) may help.

Richard Haseltine said:

Is theer a shell or the like being used to apply details (text, logo)? If so it may be a rounding error - the more distant models lose trailing digits in their coordinates as they need more at the front and so the surfaces that were separate nar-to merge further away, producing the issues you see. Changing Instance Optimisation and then changing it back (you want it on Memory ultimately) may help.

Thanks for the info! Decals seem to be the problem here. Switching the off worked and switching instance optimization to Speed also worked, but switching it back to memory leads to the same problem as before. Thanks again for the quick help!

Finished this epic AAA+ game, thanks again for the help! :D