Issue with obj imports from blender deforming

Having an issue with some objs deforming when I import them from blender. All of them were originally Cyberpunk 2077 assets that were imported into blender. In blender they look fine and have no modifiers, but when I export them and import into daz they deform. Is there anything specific that would cause this?

I searched for this issue but I didn't find anything so I wanted to ask. If a blend file is needed I can get that as well.

Images: https://imgur.com/a/po3jbKM - I tried uploading them but it didn't work for me

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

What does it look like in texture wire shaded mode?

DS doesn't like n-gons.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

Bad topology : tons of triangles sharing a single vertex, and ngons with 5+ vertices, is never a good idea. REDengine probably uses shaders to take care of the problem, like most real-time rendering engines do. In this object one can clearly see the result of booleans that have not been retopologized clean  ヽ(๑•̀д•́๑)/

In Daz what you could try, if you don't want to retopologize those assets into clean quad flow with a modeler, is to apply iRay Uber shader. As it gives an option, in the Surfaces Tab, that tends to help in such case : slide down the angle slider to about 50%. That should get rid of horrible artefacts coming from those multiple triangles sharing a single vertex. Playing with this angle value helps a lot in Daz with hard surface objects whether they have good topology or not (any 90° angle will look better in Daz with the slider angle set to lower values. This avoids having to subdivide or add edgeloops to prevent the problem).

P.S : modeling rule : a single vertex should always share a maximum of 5 polygons. 2,3 or 4 polys on a vertex is perfect, 5 is ok but not advised. Anything above 5 polygons sharing a vertex and you'll end up with such artifacts in many rendering engines.

P.S (bis) for 3D modelers : to avoid that problem, calculate normal maps. If you bake the low poly on itself or a high poly version onto the low poly, then objects in Daz won't use the normals of polygons, but the normals information from the Normal Map texture, loaded in the shader. This way your object will look "bad" in the viewport (Texture Shaded), but will look perfect in iRay. This last option, coming from the video games industry, is by far the best in my opinion.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Do check that the game license allows you to do this in the first place.

• felis said:

What does it look like in texture wire shaded mode?

DS doesn't like n-gons.

I can get an image of that for you. But thanks for that tip.

• hansolocambo said:

Bad topology : tons of triangles sharing a single vertex, and ngons with 5+ vertices, is never a good idea. REDengine probably uses shaders to take care of the problem, like most real-time rendering engines do. In this object one can clearly see the result of booleans that have not been retopologized clean  ヽ(๑•̀д•́๑)/

In Daz what you could try, if you don't want to retopologize those assets into clean quad flow with a modeler, is to apply iRay Uber shader. As it gives an option, in the Surfaces Tab, that tends to help in such case : slide down the angle slider to about 50%. That should get rid of horrible artefacts coming from those multiple triangles sharing a single vertex. Playing with this angle value helps a lot in Daz with hard surface objects whether they have good topology or not (any 90° angle will look better in Daz with the slider angle set to lower values. This avoids having to subdivide or add edgeloops to prevent the problem). Let's hope someday Daz will finally understand hard edges, smoothing groups, creases, etc. coming from Maya, Blender, Max, etc.

P.S : modeling rule : a single vertex should always share a maximum of 5 polygons. 4 being the golden number. Anything more than 5 polygons sharing a vertex and you'll end up with such artifacts in many rendering engines.

P.S (bis) for 3D modelers : to avoid that problem, calculate normal maps. If you bake the low poly on itself or a high poly version onto the low poly, then objects in Daz won't use the normals of polygons, but the normals information from the Normal Map texture, loaded in the shader. This way your object will look "bad" in the viewport (Texture Shaded), but will look perfect in iRay. This last option, coming from the video games industry, is by far the best in my opinion.

Thank you for that information honestly. I will test it out and see how it works.