How do I get Genesis 9 into Blender or Zbrush for content creation?

How do I get Gensis 9 out of DS to be put into blender or Zbrush or other modeling software so I can create content for Genesis 9?

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

You would export G9 base, in base resolution as an obj, for sculpting on the character (for morphs).

You can export in a morphed version is you use 'reverse deformation' when creating the morph.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2022

Blender

Set Up Blender Units. Unit System : Metric System ; Length : Centimeters.

- Daz > Export as obj > Import in Blender > Create a Shape Key for the base/default shape > Create 1 shape key per custom morph > export those shaped Genesis as obj > Import in Blender with Morph Loader Pro

ZBrush

Install GoZ for DAZ Studio , Configure GoZ in ZBrush (specifiy the path to Daz). Then :

- Daz > File Send to ZBrush > Create a Layer for the base/default shape > Create 1 layer per custom morph > Tool GoZ to send the morph back to Daz as a morph slider.

N.B : Blender saves everything in the .blend file. Whereas ZBrush saves necessary files in a temporary folder (C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZProjects\Default\My_Object.goz)

If ZBrush is amazing for creating morphs, this system of temporary files is terrible : you'll be able to work on your morph just fine, but if you sleep on it and work a day later, even opening the same Daz file and the same ZBrush file, you might end up with some issues (scaling, morph not conform, etc). I'm less used to Blender's sculpting tools, but it feels, with my "short" Blender experience, to be a way more stable and pro solution to create Daz morphs. On top of that ZBrush tends to weld vertices without asking if you're ok. And it's very easy to end up with a morph that won't work. Whereas Blender always respects the original topology.

I can't advise more one than the other. I used ZBrush for about 6 years, outstanding app really and ultra useful for Daz. I used Blender for only about a year... All I know is that the more I use Blender, the less I feel the need to go back to ZBrush.

Post edited by hansolocambo on